Found this blog technique interesting...even though I don't understand the language..

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had no idea ones could do such a thing...splitting main trunk into three sections!

Yes indeed that is why I have three small Azaleas from that nice pink and white one I posted some time ago. It "was" a four trunk and three of 4 survived. It does require a bit of understanding of the roots in relation to the plant but is done far more then you might expect. I "had" a Dogwood I separated in the field and just took one. It did very good for three seasons but our move and Winter here left it in the compost. Again though it is possible. This Spring I will also separate a Double Take Quince and "if" I read it right I should get at least three out of four again. It is fun if you don't toss a lot of cash into the plants you try it on for certain while learning.

Grimmy

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I saw a post from Ken Duncan over on the IBC where he split a Bald Cypreas into a 2 trunk tree. It was very well done and looked awesome. I may try that with one of mine next year.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting. I like this technique. The severed halves will be instant shari.;)

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Kimura-san did this to a white pine long ago in an early bonsai Today.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Has anyone a photo of what the fusion joint looks like after scarring up? Could be ugly...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey, Darlene,

At the bottom of that link, she does cool stuff with chojubai!

I'm telling you, you want one!

Adair

PS: Steve at PCB had some earlier this year. He sold them immediately. I told him to find more. They're hot right now!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Kimura-san did this to a white pine long ago in an early bonsai Today.

I was just going to say the same thing. I have that BT edition. Pretty remarkable. I also believe the article was reprinted in the Stone Lantern Pines book.

Attachments

• 43-18-001.jpg
    43-18-001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
  • split.jpg
    split.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 24
  • xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 24

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey, Darlene,

At the bottom of that link, she does cool stuff with chojubai!

I'm telling you, you want one!

Adair

PS: Steve at PCB had some earlier this year. He sold them immediately. I told him to find more. They're hot right now!

I think that is how I found the link in the first place Adair...the root over rock technique she is applying to it. The root over rock intrigues me...to say the least. Though...not set on needing one of the quince just quite yet...since the overall structure reminds me of my cherry.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was from a single trunk Grimmy...

Yes I see and as far as I can tell similar rules apply. The plants I chopped apart were all from a single trunk, just much lower. It is fascinating either way and although the Azaleas I tried it with were "smallish" I can toss them in the ground next Spring and will have at least two nice cascades from a non-workable plant.

Grimmy

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice way to make a clump. I have never seen this thanks for the idea.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Here is a video that documents Bill V using the same technique on a legging shimpaku. This video was shot in March of 11' and to my knowledge this tree is still alive and doing well.

[video=youtube_share;SRjU9qC9WAI]http://youtu.be/SRjU9qC9WAI?list=UUxOEBT81SjIAoDQnpx49fbQ[/video]

Top Bottom