Found what I think is a Wild Crab Apple, advice on prepping for collection needed.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Personally I would have waited until spring just to be on the safe side, but prove us wrong! I hope it makes it. My gut says to leave the foliage on so it fuels root growth.
I understand this notion as well.... But I'm thinking that defoliating will force growth, and roots...maybe....
I have a feeling that summer ain't over round here...and I literally just unintentionally defoliated my elms, and ficus with black spot fungus.
They are growing back now...

Hmmm....you guys are giving me some things to think about....and that's the most important thing!

Gracias...as they say in Tokama Park.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
My collected crabs will push growth well into oct. And I'm up here in Maine. So im sure it will have plenty of recovery time. I would have waited til spring as well, and hammerd the roots and done final chops right into the smallest pot I could. but what's done is done. Apples are tough and to answer the question the difference between reg apple and crabs is the size of the fruit. That's it.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Pretty easy to get the leaves small too. But you got a couple years growing out new branches first

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180904-223225.png
    Screenshot_20180904-223225.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 23

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
will cut the leaves off tomorrow...

I hope you didnt !

I left them on my 925 and all the gonna die ones fell.

Do keep an eye on the second pair vack from the tip....if it is wilty, and misted/wet, it could choke out the small tip leaves that are trying to live!

S

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hope you didnt !

I left them on my 925 and all the gonna die ones fell.

Do keep an eye on the second pair vack from the tip....if it is wilty, and misted/wet, it could choke out the small tip leaves that are trying to live!

S
Ya think...ok.
I'll take that advice too!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for my absence guys....
Been a busy work day, on-call...
@rockm I hear you...and I greatly appreciate your input....
Obviously what's done is done...
It'll go in the garage this winter.

For now, I'll keep it soaking in the shade and see what happens...

@Zach Smith thank you for your input as well, you think defoliating would be a helpful move?
That was my initial thought too, which is why I asked...
It seems to make sense in my mind.

Fwiw, today was 90+ and the leaves are in good shape....I was wondering if they'd be droopy today.
I will cut the leaves off tomorrow....and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again guys.
Live and learn....I've been lucky so far with this kind of abusive behavior ?
With most of the roots removed, the leaves are kept up by whatever moisture is in the trunk and branches. Once this is gone, they'll wilt and they've dried out the trunk and branches in the process. Removing the leaves removes the demand for moisture from the trunk and branches. When new buds appear, new feeder roots are also appearing and there's a new source of moisture to the buds then leaves.

And as always, seal the trunk and large branch chops to keep in the moisture.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand this notion as well.... But I'm thinking that defoliating will force growth, and roots...maybe....
I have a feeling that summer ain't over round here...and I literally just unintentionally defoliated my elms, and ficus with black spot fungus.
They are growing back now...

Hmmm....you guys are giving me some things to think about....and that's the most important thing!

Gracias...as they say in Tokama Park.
The summer ain't over, but it will be in a few weeks. Depending on where you are the first frost could be here by the end of the month, or middle of October.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/fall-frostfreeze-dates-maryland

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
definitely looks like crab. be careful if you have any juniper in your collection
Would you mind telling me what you mean by this? I don't get it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you mind telling me what you mean by this? I don't get it.
There is a fungal infection that uses both trees in its life cycle. Cedar apple rust transfers between both trees as it grows. It creates slimy brown growth on junipers and spots apple leaves.
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/cedar-apple-rust/
If you have both trees within a couple of hundred yards of each other, chances are (if it's rainy and wet) you'll wind up with this on both trees...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is a fungal infection that uses both trees in its life cycle. Cedar apple rust transfers between both trees as it grows. It creates slimy brown growth on junipers and spots apple leaves.
https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/cedar-apple-rust/
If you have both trees within a couple of hundred yards of each other, chances are (if it's rainy and wet) you'll wind up with this on both trees...
Is Daconil a good deterrent?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is Daconil a good deterrent?
That's one that will work for some of the things apples get...it will take care of some of the fungal stuff, but not the insects. Apples can be a pain in arse. They attract all kinds of stuff.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you think defoliating would be a helpful move?
That was my initial thought too, which is why I asked...
It seems to make sense in my mind.

Fwiw, today was 90+ and the leaves are in good shape....I was wondering if they'd be droopy today.
I will cut the leaves off tomorrow....and keep my fingers crossed.
I would NOT remove the leaves, certainly notif the keep their turgor up. Clearly the tree is coping keeping water in.

Leaving the leaves on gives you 2 things: Continued photosynthesis => building blocks for recovery, and the stored nutrients in the foliage which will be relocated into the tree before leaf fall further fuelling rootdevelopment.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Pear trees are particularly prone to catch that fungus, I know it by experience :(

PS: we had 14°C (57 f) this morning, 27°C (80 F) in the afternoon and they forecast 31° (88 F) for next Wednesday!
And no rain.
Exceptional.

In a couple of years, I'll grow Ficus outdoors! :oops:

Top Bottom