Fountain Grass.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey.I once met a Bonsai professional and he over-wintered purple Fountain Grass.
He grew it in straight lava rock.I was at his garden many years ago and he had a lot of it.He would cut triangles of it in Spring and floated all the triangle pieces in a tub of water and then pot them in lava rock.I guess for all his friends.
Does anyone over-winter this.Is simply above freezing good enough?
Here is mine I rescued from Walmart and I bare rooted it to plant in hydroponic soil.Seems to be lovin’it.
I really like Fountain Grass.
E2AD7AF4-3774-4590-8B49-B99AC56C53B3.jpeg249E8042-7128-4F01-A462-8BE77D90077A.jpegBDF81F56-B249-4F25-80F1-D6FB60224499.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've got a ton of it in landscape. I even have two clumps in large pots by my pool :) They are really easy to propagate via root division - just wait for them to get really big and chop them into four segments like you were slicing a pie. When they get a little unruly (every two years or so) wait until winter and cut them down to about 6". Perhaps in more temperate areas they might naturally die back during the winter, but here I have to chop them.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see them being used in a lot of landscaping lately here in Europe.
It dies back every winter, then it's usually cut back to a few inches and in spring they grow back again.
I'm not sure if the cultivars are different, but if they live in the middle east (where it freezes at night sometimes) I'd say that it's safe to try to leave a clump outdoors for the winter. Just to see what it does.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are sold as annuals in my area, and rarely come back after winter unless overwintered in a garage or inside. What a shame because they're pretty...

There is a more hardy type of purple grass here but it's not as showy, only with a little tinge of purple, but I forget the name...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are sold as annuals in my area, and rarely come back after winter unless overwintered in a garage or inside. What a shame because they're pretty...

There is a more hardy type of purple grass here but it's not as showy, only with a little tinge of purple, but I forget the name...
Yea,thanks!It seems I am reading online to just dont let freeze....makes sense really.I like the plumes and having them grow with airy hydroponic soil is cool.Would be nice to watch this start to grow in Spring.We’ll see how it goes!

Top Bottom