Four Seasons Annual Show

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought it was kind of cute myself. Thought it would take people's choice for sure (usually one of Judy's penjings always takes people's choice). Can't believe my corkbark elm got people's choice. Don't know if I should be thrilled or offended 😆😜
Can we please see a picture of your elm?

Mayank

Mame
Reaction score
Can we please see a picture of your elm?
Sure. Also the judge Jennifer Price said the scroll wasn't needed and was a bit much but she said that if she could give a ribbon for best moss job she would give it to this one 😄!

Attachments

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I missed being able to make this show this year :( But I needed this trip that I'm currently on. Hell I should have walked over to your place Mike and rode back & forth to Mio with ya lol. Glad you guys had a good time. Good to see a pic of the Dragon, I enjoy seeing that tree every year, I know Mike would give his right arm to own that tree :)
I'm not sure if Mark went or not this year since I wasn't there, haven't talked to him in a few days but he's coming up to fish with me for e afew days starting Sunday morning.
Missed you this year dude.
But I know what fishing is to you too.
Didn't see Mark.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sure. Also the judge Jennifer Price said the scroll wasn't needed and was a bit much but she said that if she could give a ribbon for best moss job she would give it to this one 😄!
Really nice, thanks for sharing. I like the scroll as an element, I think it might be a little busy for the space you had though. And a really great moss job!... but seriously very nice elm!

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Mike, Carol, & Vance for all the kind words. I enjoy the friendships I've made in bonsai very much. Without the friendships, I doubt I would have stayed with the hobby. The blueberries are a side benefit of being a part owner of a blueberry farm.

Someone asked for a photo of the larch in a roller skate. I apologize for the greasy photo. Saturday was hot, and I was on the farm, I neglected to ''de-grease'' the camera lens.

IMG_20190811_larch-roller skate.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
About that Larch,
I for one, enjoy seeing these types of displays. It harkens back to Nick Lenz and his Penelope and many other works, or David Crust, with his Larch and Vacuum, or larch and Teletubbies and other artists. But I think this assemblage needs a few more years to mature. The tree is not as refined as Crust's or Lenz's creations. But as branch structure matures, and the rollerskate deteriorates, this piece will mature nicely.

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw something I've never seen before; Judy Muench displayed a landscape made with Thuja occidentalis 'Primo' - this is the most dwarf, fine foliage Thuja I have ever seen. If it were not labeled, I would have assumed it was a Hinoki. Chamaecyparis obtusa. But its was labeled Thuja, and when googled, Isle Nursery has been propagating this marvelous dwarf. This might be a good one for further bonsai experimentation. The Isle website says it grows 3 to 5 inches a year, which is slow, so remember don't expect it to grow rapidly. The site also says it was found as a seedling, so there is no danger of reversion that one might find with witches brooms. This is a genetic dwarf, not a witches broom. Style by keeping as much as possible.

Attachments

coh

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike, Carol, & Vance for all the kind words. I enjoy the friendships I've made in bonsai very much. Without the friendships, I doubt I would have stayed with the hobby. The blueberries are a side benefit of being a part owner of a blueberry farm.

Someone asked for a photo of the larch in a roller skate. I apologize for the greasy photo. Saturday was hot, and I was on the farm, I neglected to ''de-grease'' the camera lens.

View attachment 257542
Thanks for posting that but...geez, just looks like someone trying too hard to stand out in a crowd. FWIW, I didn't really care for the tree in the vacuum at the Artisan's Cup either, though I thought that one made a little more sense and the shape of the vacuum complemented the shape of the tree. This one...just not feeling it.

Mayank

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that but...geez, just looks like someone trying too hard to stand out in a crowd. FWIW, I didn't really care for the tree in the vacuum at the Artisan's Cup either, though I thought that one made a little more sense and the shape of the vacuum complemented the shape of the tree. This one...just not feeling it.
In all fairness, he is one of our newest members and this was competing in the beginner level.
☺