Four Seasons Annual Show

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought it was kind of cute myself. Thought it would take people's choice for sure (usually one of Judy's penjings always takes people's choice). Can't believe my corkbark elm got people's choice. Don't know if I should be thrilled or offended 😆😜
Can we please see a picture of your elm?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Can we please see a picture of your elm?
Sure. Also the judge Jennifer Price said the scroll wasn't needed and was a bit much but she said that if she could give a ribbon for best moss job she would give it to this one 😄!

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_154938424_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20190811_154938424_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20190811_091334861_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190811_091334861_HDR.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 103

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I missed being able to make this show this year :( But I needed this trip that I'm currently on. Hell I should have walked over to your place Mike and rode back & forth to Mio with ya lol. Glad you guys had a good time. Good to see a pic of the Dragon, I enjoy seeing that tree every year, I know Mike would give his right arm to own that tree :)
I'm not sure if Mark went or not this year since I wasn't there, haven't talked to him in a few days but he's coming up to fish with me for e afew days starting Sunday morning.
Missed you this year dude.
But I know what fishing is to you too.
Didn't see Mark.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sure. Also the judge Jennifer Price said the scroll wasn't needed and was a bit much but she said that if she could give a ribbon for best moss job she would give it to this one 😄!
Really nice, thanks for sharing. I like the scroll as an element, I think it might be a little busy for the space you had though. And a really great moss job!... but seriously very nice elm!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Really nice, thanks for sharing. I like the scroll as an element, I think it might be a little busy for the space you had though. And a really great moss job!... but seriously very nice elm!
Thank you! This is a fall picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_105027009.jpg
    IMG_20181113_105027009.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 113

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Mike, Carol, & Vance for all the kind words. I enjoy the friendships I've made in bonsai very much. Without the friendships, I doubt I would have stayed with the hobby. The blueberries are a side benefit of being a part owner of a blueberry farm.

Someone asked for a photo of the larch in a roller skate. I apologize for the greasy photo. Saturday was hot, and I was on the farm, I neglected to ''de-grease'' the camera lens.

IMG_20190811_larch-roller skate.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
About that Larch,
I for one, enjoy seeing these types of displays. It harkens back to Nick Lenz and his Penelope and many other works, or David Crust, with his Larch and Vacuum, or larch and Teletubbies and other artists. But I think this assemblage needs a few more years to mature. The tree is not as refined as Crust's or Lenz's creations. But as branch structure matures, and the rollerskate deteriorates, this piece will mature nicely.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw something I've never seen before; Judy Muench displayed a landscape made with Thuja occidentalis 'Primo' - this is the most dwarf, fine foliage Thuja I have ever seen. If it were not labeled, I would have assumed it was a Hinoki. Chamaecyparis obtusa. But its was labeled Thuja, and when googled, Isle Nursery has been propagating this marvelous dwarf. This might be a good one for further bonsai experimentation. The Isle website says it grows 3 to 5 inches a year, which is slow, so remember don't expect it to grow rapidly. The site also says it was found as a seedling, so there is no danger of reversion that one might find with witches brooms. This is a genetic dwarf, not a witches broom. Style by keeping as much as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_Thuja 'Primo'.jpg
    IMG_20190811_Thuja 'Primo'.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 92

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike, Carol, & Vance for all the kind words. I enjoy the friendships I've made in bonsai very much. Without the friendships, I doubt I would have stayed with the hobby. The blueberries are a side benefit of being a part owner of a blueberry farm.

Someone asked for a photo of the larch in a roller skate. I apologize for the greasy photo. Saturday was hot, and I was on the farm, I neglected to ''de-grease'' the camera lens.

View attachment 257542

Thanks for posting that but...geez, just looks like someone trying too hard to stand out in a crowd. FWIW, I didn't really care for the tree in the vacuum at the Artisan's Cup either, though I thought that one made a little more sense and the shape of the vacuum complemented the shape of the tree. This one...just not feeling it.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that but...geez, just looks like someone trying too hard to stand out in a crowd. FWIW, I didn't really care for the tree in the vacuum at the Artisan's Cup either, though I thought that one made a little more sense and the shape of the vacuum complemented the shape of the tree. This one...just not feeling it.
In all fairness, he is one of our newest members and this was competing in the beginner level.
☺

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
She couldn't believe that tree and every other mugo in the show came from nursery stock.
When I told her that the look on her face was priceless.
She was great!
The best judge we've had so far in my limited opinion.
I second that emotion. And her demos where filled with insights and great skills. Hope we can get her back again to judge.

Attachments

• Jennifer Price at 4 Seasons bonsai show 8112019.jpg
    Jennifer Price at 4 Seasons bonsai show 8112019.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 63

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
She spent a lot of time with my son and guiding him with style and wiring and how to grow and evolve from this point on etc. She was wonderful!
She was by far the most enthusiastic judge we have had, not that the others were not good, she took time with people and did not condescend to them.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Beats me what events there will be.
You would think I would know.
I did bring a wild caught Jack pine I think I'm going to turn John Wall loose on for an initial styling.
That is if I don't sell it.
Just setting up I've had a few guys looking at it pretty hard.
The highlight of the show for me is already there.
Vance's dragon mugo.View attachment 256962
I got the honor of working on it today.
Just tweezing dead needles off of the substrate but for me it was an honor.
Also for me,this is the best example of a bonsai to be found anywhere. My favorite tree ever.
All of the cool trees Vance has posted here will be there.
He has 9 in the show.
Speaking of mugo I would like you to see my first styling of the mugo I got from Vance at the show. Wire was biting in so I just replaced with heavier copper and did a redirection of lower left branch. Turned out better than I expected. I want to call it 8282019b Vance Dragonson Mugo .jpgVance Drogonson if it continues to improve ( w8282019b Vance Dragonson Mugo .jpgith Vance and Mike approval of course).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of mugo I would like you to see my first styling of the mugo I got from Vance at the show. Wire was biting in so I just replaced with heavier copper and did a redirection of lower left branch. Turned out better than I expected. I want to call it View attachment 259839Vance Drogonson if it continues to improve ( wView attachment 259839ith Vance and Mike approval of course).
Coming along nicely Leonard!
Dragonson?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You will find as you move forward that this tree will take on its own identity and may pull you in a different direction than the tree I have. With Mugos I have found that letting them get gnarly and ugly with little assistance from me, makes for a better bonsai. They age really nicely and along the way they will teach you a lot of stuff.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Vance. Hope you don't mind the new lines. I was afraid you wouldn't like the Dragonson reference. Thought Mike might not like it either.

Top Bottom