Franken-sieve

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I built myself a powered sieve, was able to run about 40 gallons of soil mix through it in a couple of hours. It works amazingly good. No more blisters. The top piece comes off and the screen material is easy to change out. The sifted material goes into to cement mixer barrel and easily dumps into a bucket.
I found by changing the angle of the barrel while it’s running different things would happen, organics such as old roots sticks a sphagnum would float to an area and I could shut it down and scoop the material out.
I’m getting ready to get a load of pumice about a ton, this should be a back saver for sure.:D
C1ADD9D4-5A43-4858-BB13-19D93776DA4A.jpeg1F78B021-50DE-4111-8C34-E5028797F95A.jpegB810F560-A17E-4A16-98C1-968EDFDE1D91.jpeg

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow.
I have one I built out of 2x4s and hardware cloth that fits on one of those black bins with the yellow lids that the Home Despot sells (the store, not the wife).
I thought it was slick :(.
Last year I processed about 600lbs of seed through it. (That’s a lot of seeds) it took a few weeks and lots of skin.
I did a few gallons of bonsai soil this year, no problem.
Your system makes me think that you need to sell me one for work so that the next time I’m sifting seeds it will be easier.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow.
I have one I built out of 2x4s and hardware cloth that fits on one of those black bins with the yellow lids that the Home Despot sells (the store, not the wife).
I thought it was slick :(.
Last year I processed about 600lbs of seed through it. (That’s a lot of seeds) it took a few weeks and lots of skin.
I did a few gallons of bonsai soil this year, no problem.
Your system makes me think that you need to sell me one for work so that the next time I’m sifting seeds it will be easier.
Wow 600lbs of seed, what kind of seed are you sifting?

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mostly giant bulrush and other Scirpus spp.
Some other wetland plants as well.
Did some Cattail seeds too. They are a real pain to separate from the fluff. Had to bind it up, to stop the fluffing.
Never again. Now I just shoot the whole heads through a leafblower.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wuhl ain't that cool :cool:
You missed the part where it says for cement or mortar use only
I will be using it for that as well, it’s a multipurpose machine.;):p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built myself a powered sieve, was able to run about 40 gallons of soil mix through it in a couple of hours.
I have the cheap side of the same idea.

Top Bottom