Frankenstein Elastica Seedling

jmobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to share this freaky elastica seedling, which has decided to shoot multiple roots or trunk into the ground.
It has 4 rooted into the ground, and one more on the way seeking towards the soil.

Is this normal for elastica?

Attachments

• DSCN0329.JPG
    DSCN0329.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 65

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What genus is this? The only elastica I am familiar with is ficus. And this does not look like ficus 🤔
This is not a ficus.

jmobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I am positive that its a F. Elastica.
They look like this when they have just germinated (3 weeks ago).
The characteristic rubbery leaves come later in their development.

jmobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Although... it is possible that a little F. Capensis seed from the row next to the elastica row has jumped over the fence, so to speak.
I have them devided into four rows with 4 different ficus species. Maybe it is a South-african cap-fig or Ficus Capensis. I dont know at this point. We'll wait and see :)

jmobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Indeed. I'll keep updating this post. Taking a closer look, it looks like it's sending new roots from the elbows of the wierd spider-like roots. There's an alien in my living room. I don't feel safe, lol.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve been here before. I’ve not had much luck in germination. I’ve attempted to germinate F. religiosa, sycamore and Japanese maple and each time I was super excited to see something start to sprout then discovered that it was just a weed that made it’s way into my soil. It happens.

I’ll continue to work at it!

We’ll get there!

jmobonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
You're right, could be just a weed, but compared to all the other ficus species i've sprouted this year, it looks like a ficus. Here's some more pictures of my windowsill bonsai project.

Started last year, had luck with germinating 5 different species: Religiosa, Carica, Salicifolia, Cordata, and Microcarpa.
This year ive successfully germinated 13 different species: Elastica (in question here?), Religiosa (again), Racemosa, Benjamina, Aurea, Ingens, Pumila, Rubiginosa, Natalensis, Austrocaledonica, Brandgeei, Semicordata, and finally Abutilifolia.

Giving me a total of 17 different ficus species.
From October they will go under grow light to "overwinter", like last year. The thing with ficus, is they grow like crazy all year even in winter time.
Those on top are pre bonsai experiments, they've been trunk chopped completely (growing new trunks). However i regret doing that, they took all summer to recover. So the only two (close to)-bonsai ive got are the little mame willow leaf and the two namaqua figs that ive spun together. It take a loong time to go from seed to bonsai. Lol. All these are 1 year and 3 months old.
And i use distilled water only, ive made my own distilling coils. Take 24h to make 10 litres which last me a month. I do this to remove all calcium from the water, eliminating phytotoxicity and to avoid calcium deposits on the leaves when misting them. Just like rain water :) In fact, it IS rain water. Only artificially made in my kitchen. What a global pandemic doesn't do to you...

Attachments

• DSCN0332.JPG
    DSCN0332.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0334.JPG
    DSCN0334.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0335.JPG
    DSCN0335.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0337.JPG
    DSCN0337.JPG