Frankenstein Tamarix

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just for my own remembrance. Bonsai Bark's Mother's Day 2020 newsletter...where he listed several women of bonsai. (Jennifer Price as well was mentioned among others.) That this image found it's way in the newsletter BLEW MY MIND! Screenshot the newsletter showing my image...and credit given to me. Me... plain old vanilla...hick town gal. I was so honored.

But...honestly at the end of the day, one has nothing to prove to anyone...but themselves.
~Enjoy your journey
Screenshot_20200611-204727.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great lighting in that image. Looks like the tree is developing well and has adapted nicely to pot culture.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They may or may not be drought tolerant, but they are considered invasive because they populate waterway edges and crowd out natives. I don't think they prefer or do best in rocky bonsai soils. Their seeds float along the edges and germinate there. Big time pests.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They may or may not be drought tolerant, but they are considered invasive because they populate waterway edges and crowd out natives. I don't think they prefer or do best in rocky bonsai soils. Their seeds float along the edges and germinate there. Big time pests.
I find the love water. Mine is the only plant that sits over a tray with water all summer.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great lighting in that image. Looks like the tree is developing well and has adapted nicely to pot culture.
Thanks, yes...finally has taken to thriving over the weak tree I had collected from the yard which for some reason didn't do well with back to back arctic winters.

I have heard they can be quite invasive. Must be a location thing. as long as I've had this...even before collecting and training. It has never popped up anywhere around my land or anything. I live lake front as well.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene, I love this plant and its development. Always wanted one but the are hard to find here for an invasive plant. Your picture is very cool. Looks like its sitting in a primeval forest.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, I love this plant and its development. Always wanted one but the are hard to find here for an invasive plant. Your picture is very cool. Looks like its sitting in a primeval forest.
Thank you. I came about it by admiring it in bloom in a yard in town. I stopped one day and asked about it. The owner had no idea what it was. So she clipped the branch off and said to take it with me to the nursery. Come to learn it was a Victorian era beloved plant. Invasive in parts of the country...but not here. So they ordered me two in. One died with that back to back arctic winters. The other was this one. It is sitting at the base of our waterfall here. Ever since, I seen it popping up here and there. But sadly many lost theirs to the arctic spells.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This whole thread has been a treasure trove for me. We have friends with one growing wild in their yard. They love it, but in my region they're officially considered noxious weeds. Between that knowledge and what you guys have dropped, I now have no worries about experimenting like a mad scientist on them.
Does anyone know how they handle drought conditions when potted?
Thanks so much!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine has shown droopy young growth and dropping of the fine branches
Wow, I've not had that happen, but we've not seen a severe drought either. Worst case is I'm late in watering, and the tips get limp. Water and it perks back up. Climate surely has a lot to play into how each of these behave for each person.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine has shown droopy young growth and dropping of the fine branches

Thanks!
I ask because I'm in a semi-arid climate where every summer is like a drought, then cold arctic winters half the time. Yet, they've gone wild and are invasive growing 20 feet tall easy, so I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ask because I'm in a semi-arid climate where every summer is like a drought, then cold arctic winters half the time. Yet, they've gone wild and are invasive growing 20 feet tall easy, so I'm trying to wrap my head around it.
There is a difference between something growing in a pot and let dry out vss an established plant that might have tapped into the ground water?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is a difference between something growing in a pot and let dry out vss an established plant that might have tapped into the ground water?
Most of us in the USA who grow Larch are familiar with the Eastern Larch which is intolerant of cooked roots, Larix Laricina. You however have access to Eiuropean Larch, Larix Decidua which is native to your environment and as such should be tolerant of your environment.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Precisely. Around here tamarisk grow either right on the water's edge, or in alkalie fields that are intermittently flooded by heavy rains.
Everything else in my meager collection is either very drought tolerant, or I can just set it in a bucket of water while I'm gone if I, say, go camping for a week. But some trees only thrive in a certain moderate zone of wet soil, but dry roots. Can I put this one in a bucket or tub of water for a week like the willow cutting I just potted, or do I need to get more inventive?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I put this one in a bucket or tub of water for a week like the willow cutting I just potted, or do I need to get more inventive?
Mine sits on top of a dish of water, which fills every time I water. THe roots jump through the drainage hole to have a ittle sip.

Top Bottom