Freakishly cute...then what

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, just as a quirky accent...I thought of doing this. But then what!?! Toss or develop? If I develop...then cone selection might come into play. Than a random one found on a walk.

So...did they add soil around the inner cone so it would grow? I see moss growing up in around where the new seedlings are forming.

Anything I need to know going further?
1ccca7367ad08a034b4157db54199ed8.jpge705c06016ac84532dc3c5786bf138be.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They’re fun, but fleeting. I like them right now, but bet you can’t keep them small for long.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So either toss or don't bother then. Thanks...good to know.

That's not what I meant. I meant enjoy it now... but it won't stay small. You can certainly do all sorts of interesting things with it as it grows - you just won't be able to keep it in its current state.

What I like about the cone right now is that it almost looks inorganic. With the moss cascading down the front it reminds me of a rocky hillside. Almost makes me want to deconstruct the idea and recreate it as a rock planting that is designed to look like a giant pine cone with pines growing out the top... just on a much larger scale!

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

What I like about the cone right now is that it almost looks inorganic. With the moss cascading down the front it reminds me of a rocky hillside. Almost makes me want to deconstruct the idea and recreate it as a rock planting that is designed to look like a giant pine cone with pines growing out the top... just on a much larger scale!

Oh, yeah. That would be fun. And even better to have something like this as an "accent" nearby.
OK. Maybe not. Too homogenous.
But cute.
Definitely cute.
Without the fake accent, it would make me stop and look closely.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing; as long as cone exists must be protected from Squirrels/some birds. Plan to grow one but must live in cage;).

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This is one I did recently. The pines are seedlings I collected and placed between the scales of the cone (with tweezers). I used Keto to fill in the gaps between the scales as a growing medium. You could probably use regular garden soil if you don't have any. I water by spraying with a fine nozzle on the hose. It's growing, but I don't expect it to last for long.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Theoretically, this is how “clump style” pine clumps get started.
I was just pondering what species pine/conifer...would I like a clump of. A particular easier pine for newbies...to conifer set...or even Larch? Do they have cones? I think it would be a neat project to watch.. and see it transform.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's not what I meant. I meant enjoy it now... but it won't stay small. You can certainly do all sorts of interesting things with it as it grows - you just won't be able to keep it in its current state.

Ahhh okay...yeah, was dead tired and wasn't reading it right. Thanks for clarity.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is one I did recently. The pines are seedlings I collected and placed between the scales of the cone (with tweezers). I used Keto to fill in the gaps between the scales as a growing medium. You could probably use regular garden soil if you don't have any. I water by spraying with a fine nozzle on the hose. It's growing, but I don't expect it to last for long.

Great minds think alike! Very cool...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ahhh okay...yeah, was dead tired and wasn't reading it right. Thanks for clarity.

A central theme in classical Japanese art aesthetic is the concept of fleeting, impermanent beauty. It is one reason why cherry blossom viewing has a specific importance to Japanese culture - amazingly beautiful for only a day or two... and then gone.

Were you to use that pine cone as an accent at a major show, it would be quite a powerful element - not just because it is such a strong Spring image, but because of the fleeting nature of getting the element just right for the show - when seedlings only look like that for a short time.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I say go for it, do it with larch, I guess it doesn't matter no matter what you use is going to grow too fast and outgrow the cone. Larch cones are very small, I would get wild and put the larch seedlings in a pine cone

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I’d imagined that the seedlings would spring from the seeds within the cones already without having to be placed there artificially.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I say go for it, do it with larch, I guess it doesn't matter no matter what you use is going to grow too fast and outgrow the cone. Larch cones are very small, I would get wild and put the larch seedlings in a pine cone
Seedlings of Uncinata are much smaller first couple of years. Will last longer.

Top Bottom