Free azelea

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did some landscaping for a lady a couple of weeks ago and she wanted bushes trimmed, little did I know what was hiding underneath the huge overgrown azaleas. That’s right small ones that couldn’t reach the light, so she said dig it up and take it. Who was I to argue about free material, score! It’s leggy I know but when can I prune it, next spring or what. I’m assuming I need to let it just recoup after the dig, and starting to show a little sign of brown. Is that due to over watering? I should have added a little potting soil for for nutrients until it has recovered. What do you guys think? 483D317B-8ED3-4215-898B-56955BB9F349.jpeg6B3D0CBC-FD5D-497A-B6BC-F7595B639074.jpegE6A05253-434D-4DDE-9C5E-9E64248BDB69.jpeg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Did some landscaping for a lady a couple of weeks ago and she wanted bushes trimmed, little did I know what was hiding underneath the huge overgrown azaleas. That’s right small ones that couldn’t reach the light, so she said dig it up and take it. Who was I to argue about free material, score! It’s leggy I know but when can I prune it, next spring or what. I’m assuming I need to let it just recoup after the dig, and starting to show a little sign of brown. Is that due to over watering? I should have added a little potting soil for for nutrients until it has recovered. What do you guys think? View attachment 201066View attachment 201067View attachment 201068

Hi Jcmmaple,
Great find you got there, and cool trunk. My guess is that this beast didn’t like being dug up and is complaining, doesn’t look bad and your mix is well draining too.
My 2 theories, and we wait for others to share. 1. Wait til next Spring after it has acclimatized, then chop all off to 6-10 inches.
2. More drastic- Chop to 6-10 inches now as it has been dug and the new growth will help new root growth.
Options I guess, but remembering these Azaleas back bud furiously so no worries about big chops etc.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time....

"Oh but these young ones will grow much nicer if we remove these big overgrown old ones!....;)

Score anyway!

Sorce

Top Bottom