Free citrus seedlings

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone!

I have some citrus seedlings I started in January, and will not have room for all of them once they need to be potted up.

I've got 2 different species growing, both are colloquially called/used as lemons in Colombia where the seeds came from, but neither are truly lemons.

One species is what's most commonly known as Rangpur Lime, which under good conditions can supposedly flower in 5 years from seed (it is often grown this way commercially because it is generally comes true from seed ) . It has fruit about the size of a clementine.

The second type of "lemon" is an unknown species; it's from a tree on a friend's family farm, and apparently another type of sour orange/lemon hybrid. My friend says it's an "older type of 'lemon' that is not found commercially in Colombia" so you might call it an heirloom variety. It appears to be polyembryonic, so good chance it will come true from seed. The fruits have a wonderful lemon flavor, very juicy, and are comparable in size to a clementine. These seedlings are very vigorous!

Both species would make nice large bonsai, they have lovely, fragrant leaves and were started in peat pellets so the roots are air pruning as they develop and you have the chance to develop a good nebari from the start. Because the Rangpur Lime can flower from a relatively young age, you might even be able to develop a fruiting bonsai from one without having to graft.

If anyone would like a one or more seedlings, just PM me. All I would ask is the cost to ship; I would hate for the seedlings to go to waste!

Laura

Attachments

• citrus seedlings.jpg
    citrus seedlings.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 29

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

I watched a thing last night about Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.
A great flick.

Anyway....in it....they talk about how when Magic first got to LA, he was amazed at the Orange trees cuz he never seen one before.....he made them stop the limo to go grab one.

Hell....watch it.....
Talk about a couple of badass dudes.
I always hated Larry Bird....
Not anymore!

Sorce

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here in Costa Rica there are lots of citrus that have viable seeds. The better fruit is from grafted trees but " lemons" (they are green) about golf ball size up to baseball size from seed are ok, and I bet theyre close to the same as the Colombian type you have.. I have a couple in my yard I thought about digging for bonsai and I have one seedling in a pot...If I were in Fl again, I would take you up on the offer!

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are in desperate need of potting up soon, and sometime in the next couple of weeks I will be shipping out seedlings to folks who have messaged me to take some. So just wanted to put the offer out one last times to see if there are are others interested - - - if so, just send me a message!

Top Bottom