Free-form concrete pot

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've spent quite a bit of time on Youtube looking at concrete pot making. It's pretty simple and inexpensive , BUT is not quite as easy as some make it look. I've made a half dozen in the last couple of weeks........all pretty much one-of-a kind. This is one of the latest. Two parts play sand and one part portland cement and enough water to get the proper consistency. I spread about 3/4" or so of the mixture on a piece of plastic sheeting. I then pushed sand under the sheeting to raise the sides at random around the pot. I put a couple of drainage holes and anchor holes and let it dry for a day. After drying , it needs to cure in a tub of water for a week. A little dry time and and a coat of acrylic paint and it's ready for use. Cost: about 50 cents of concrete/sand and 2 cents of paint.

I've got a mulberry clump in mid for this one.

unnamed - 2021-05-15T114520.524.jpgunnamed - 2021-05-15T114457.405.jpgunnamed - 2021-05-15T113921.089.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You spent way too much on the paint! Lol!

Nice.

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, kind of overdid it on the paint! I used a teaspoon out of a 50 cent bottle of acrylic craft paint. Hey, if I have to retouch once every year or two, not a big deal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, kind of overdid it on the paint! I used a teaspoon out of a 50 cent bottle of acrylic craft paint. Hey, if I have to retouch once every year or two, not a big deal.

I dig the paint. I think the color is a nice touch into the natural with a pleasant color to play with still.

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, Sorce. The natural color I left is a band scraped into the wet concrete, so it has a textural as well as a color difference.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.
I like to make concrete pots too.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yep. I’ve decided. I have to try this.
thanks for the inspiration. 👍

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The only downside I've found is lugging a 94 lb. bag of portland cement around. It goes a long way, though. I've made 6 large pots and used maybe 10% of a bag.

Top Bottom