Free JM

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree was behind my brother in law's greenhouse doing nothing but sitting in potting soil for 3 years or so.

Spring is going to be fun!

Attachments

• small jm4.jpg
    small jm4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 138
  • small jm6.jpg
    small jm6.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 124
  • small jm2.jpg
    small jm2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 112
  • small jm8.jpg
    small jm8.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 131

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sweet find! Have you considered screwing a tile under it? Using a very small screw of course!

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sweet find! Have you considered screwing a tile under it? Using a very small screw of course!
I thought of it but I want it to get some health back before I did anything else. It was pretty neglected for a while pretty much just had been watered inconsistently when he remembered or when it rained.

I'll see how it gets through the next few seasons and go from there. :)

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s a very small weird trunk . Are you gonna air layer it and take cuttings to grow more ?

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s a very small weird trunk . Are you gonna air layer it and take cuttings to grow more ?
I like the trunk 😁

But I am going to just let it grow and develop. I have another larger one that I'll probably be air layering at some point. Plus my brother in law has about 20 more doing nothing that are mine if I want them.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll share a bonsai secret with you. Trees on other peoples property grow wayyy faster than in your grow out area.

I'd collect the rest of those maples slowly one by one. Obviously I'm sort of joking, but I can tell you from experience that when you aren't staring at a tree everyday it puts on growth and does its thing undisturbed, just kind of seems to surprise you with how big it got. The only downside to collecting trees at a rate of one per year is that the roots will get away from you. If they don't have good nebari from the start it's not going to magically fix itself. but that's what ground layers are for haha

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So in the past month this things be going like crazy. Could anyone point me to a possible species on this now that is has leaves?

thumbnail_20210305_075547.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bloodgood most likely. Popular in the landscape biz. Dark red shoots, deeply divided lobes, large red "sheath" at the base of the emerging leaf, coarse growth....

Emperor 1, Shiana, Crimson Queen are some other popular "reds".....

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bloodgood most likely. Popular in the landscape biz. Dark red shoots, deeply divided lobes, large red "sheath" at the base of the emerging leaf, coarse growth....

Emperor 1, Shiana, Crimson Queen are some other popular "reds".....

Thank you Lance that seems to be all the characteristics of it for sure.

I need to go grab a few more of these since I just saved him $500 of retail for a bunch of suspension parts for his outback. :p

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you leave it to grow, the resultant samaras will be distinctly red.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Growing 😄

Attachments

• freesmalljm0327211.jpg
    freesmalljm0327211.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom