Free Mugo

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at a garden center earlier this year and found this mugo pine in the dumpster. All the deadwood that you can see used to be as tall as the live branches. the pot was all cracked and broken and it looked pretty hopeless in general. Hopeless to any normal person, but not the Plant Doctor!

After potting it in the styrofoam box I broke the dead branches off and carved some of the bark off them. I haven't done anything else with it yet. It seems happy, pushing a lot of new growth so far.

Mugo front.JPGMugo left.JPGMugo right.JPGMugo back.JPGNugo close up.JPG

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
So much of our bonsai journey is learning, cause and effect....and you have an excellent opportunity to learn from your "gift".
I think from an art stand point, you have to be able to visualize this tree down the road. I do think in the years ahead you can push the growth back down the trunks thru careful pruning on the ends and good fertilizing. Maybe a raft? the last two additions to my collection has been Mughos. my first pine 20 plus years ago was mugho as well. have fun with it and let us know with installments how things are progressing.

Top Bottom