7a
@Wee is Mother Earth the brand??
I’m tempted to buy a bag and sift it

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes.....I'll be sifting this week if weather permits. I'll pour up a bag in a clear plastic container and weigh it.....Then do the same after it's sifted.

Brian
Volume is a better measure?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's the brand....I will have a report this week after sifting it.

Brian

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found a hydroponics store out by me that carries this VOLCANITE product.
IMG_4084.JPG

So I picked up a bag this morning to check out. It's a nice size 40 lb bag I got for $22. I've seen some places on the net that sell it for less than $10. But of course with shipping it would be WAY more than $22. If I like it I'll check a few more hydroponic stores by me for a better price.

Unfortunately the bag had some moisture in it so I can't sift it just yet. I scooped some out and have it set aside to dry out. I'll sift it just as soon as it's totally dry.

The manufacturer lists the particle size as 3/8" to 1/32" so I'm a little concerned about the amount of fines. I guess we'll see :)

Upon first inspection it doesn't look that bad.
IMG_4088.JPG

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found a hydroponics store out by me that carries this VOLCANITE product.
View attachment 227303

So I picked up a bag this morning to check out. It's a nice size 40 lb bag I got for $22. I've seen some places on the net that sell it for less than $10. But of course with shipping it would be WAY more than $22. If I like it I'll check a few more hydroponic stores by me for a better price.

Unfortunately the bag had some moisture in it so I can't sift it just yet. I scooped some out and have it set aside to dry out. I'll sift it just as soon as it's totally dry.

The manufacturer lists the particle size as 3/8" to 1/32" so I'm a little concerned about the amount of fines. I guess we'll see :)

Upon first inspection it doesn't look that bad.
View attachment 227304
This is the same product I saw at local hydroponic store. There it two was wet, very much so. After seeing your image it indeed looks better than what I could make out through the clear plastic at top and bottom of the bag. I’m wondering if moisture making fines adhere to the bag resulted in my reluctance rather than the actual product itself..hope so
I look forward to your thoughts on this.
Thanks

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting ready to head to Malad, Idaho to Hess pumice and pick up a truck bed full 3/8".......$40.
My wife is from Pocatello so we drive by there fairly often. Im always scanning the mountain-sides to the east of I-15 along there, wishing I had time to go hunting for some of those junipers. There's gotta be some great material up there!

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up 2 bags for less than $35 in the Atlanta area on Monday....Mine was wet as well.....I think they wash it before putting it in the bags. I put one bag in a tub with a fan right on it 24 7 since and it's still not dry. There is some smaller pieces 1/32" in size but there doesn't seem to be much dust. I hope to sift it this weekend if it quites raining long enough. I'll report back my findings.

IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6839.JPG
IMG_6838.JPG

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My wife is from Pocatello so we drive by there fairly often. Im always scanning the mountain-sides to the east of I-15 along there, wishing I had time to go hunting for some of those junipers. There's gotta be some great material up there!
I will have to check them out on the way up, not that I wouldn’t be anyway, LOL I’m a bit of a distracted driver when it comes to tree scanning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Save yourself time and just go to bonsai jack. The link above sell 3.5 gallons of 1/4 pumice for 31. That is not much cheaper than the one sell on bonsai jack. With bonsai jack, you already have a premixed soil that is ready to go. Am not working for bonsai jack but have bought quite a bit of soil this season. Nice and clean soil.

starlord

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4B
Save yourself time and just go to bonsai jack. The link above sell 3.5 gallons of 1/4 pumice for 31. That is not much cheaper than the one sell on bonsai jack. With bonsai jack, you already have a premixed soil that is ready to go. Am not working for bonsai jack but have bought quite a bit of soil this season. Nice and clean soil.

I'll check it out, I'll check it out thanks!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So when you sift, what size screen or mesh do you use? Thanks

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I sift for 4 different sizes. 5/16+, 1/4+, 1/8+ and what gets left in a window screen I use for cuttings.

Top Bottom