Free Western Hemlock...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Actually...the soil is quick draining...like fine compost mulch. Doing a chop now...would mean to lose the top...which I had hoped to play around with. :( Would prefer an air layer. The top of this tree is pretty.

A root ball reduction when it's getting colder here... :confused: I thought that was done when a tree was pushing new growth...or am I mistaken,and you mean come spring?

Your agreeing though...to chop and make the leader my desired literati movement form then. :cool:

Chop late fall... repot early spring. :)

Or... if you want to airlayer. Just know getting airlayers off of cooler county conifers is tough... but trying won't hurt. It generally takes a couple of years to get them to take though... so be patient. :)

V

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Or... if you want to airlayer. Just know getting airlayers off of cooler county conifers is tough... but trying won't hurt. It generally takes a couple of years to get them to take though... so be patient. :)

V
Just wanted to air layer the top...one, not multiple. Spring when it warms I thought was best for that.So...three months of leaving it on...won't allow my having actual success of said air layer then? :confused:

The thing was out out back...unwatered left to die. It most likely is weak...as mentioned. We haven't had much rain lately...I'm so fearful to chop with knowing it was not even watered regularly.:(

So...if I would chop...you would still suggest late fall of next season if I pass this year out of fear of it being neglected and all?

When I do chop...I had planned originally...to take it long at an angle making the leader seem to have a natural flow with the main trunk. (Yes/No)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Darlene,
I've killed a few of its western form and a few yamadori mountain hemi's over the years by rushing with them, doing too much when they weren't in perfect health......its like a Dr. wanting the patient in reasonable health before performing some serious surgery.

I've learnt that you have to go careful with their roots especially if they are root bound like this one seems to be. Ms. Vic has some great knowledge on these too and good advice but if mine, I'd take it out of that pot and see how much of that pot volume contains healthy roots, at this time of year they should have many active root tips, (red at the end), then slip pot it into a large grow pot now, fertilize and leave if for a full year. Take that time to examine your literati options, play with possible designs the best you can and see if its health improves.
The ones on the west coast do like Nitrogen and I use humic acid which they seem to love.....so yours should too. These conifers are shade tolerant but can do really well in full sun when they are accustomed to it (over time), if this one was neglected like you say, I'd bet that its not healthy enough for anything major.
One of our club members did an air layer on a mountain Hemi and it too two full growing seasons and it struggled for a few years while it grew.
Good luck with this one.
Cheers Graham

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like these don't do air layers well. Not wishing to lose the main trunk I plan on working on...as of now. I will focus on getting it healthy. Then do a chop forgoing the air layer.

Graham...I think I will do as suggested and study literati during the period I attempt to get this tree healthy. Thanks.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not too often you get a deal like that Darlene! ;)

For me, the trees weak and not that healthy. Evergreens really need to be in peak shape before any work. If it were mine, I'd start fertilizing the heck out of it till Oct. And just do the same for another yr till you get it healthy. Patience is so hard to practice...even for myself! But I've lost too many by being inpatient or not doing the necessary work first, like getting it in good soil.

Fertilizing a strong dose or normal dose weekly until October?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Darlene, I'd just do normal strength (assuming you're using miracle gro or like) once a week.

And, I totally agree w. Graham. ;)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I have had and collected several killer Mt. Hemlocks. They are a touchy tree and while they are one of my favorites they are also one of the tougher species. I and others that I know have had healthy trees going for a few years and just lose a key branch out of nowhere. Its odd.

I have had the best luck with carrying out agressive root work in the fall/early winter. Meaning taking a collected tree that has been in a grow box/container for a few years, barerooting and putting in a good mix of pumice/akadama. SPring time pottings have been hit and miss with me. Same with styling. Fall seems to be the best with these guys.

They do not like to dry out between waterings.
They do not like to be in the hot afternoon sun.
They will thrive in part shade, good soil, keep moist and feed good.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've done nothing but fertilize heavy until stated...and watered it. I really felt it was weak so I was worried to do much of anything but try and make it stronger. It's in the cold greenhouse now...but, seeing ones say fall or early winter. I'm wondering if I should do something now to it. :confused: or leave it be...and just continue to leave it in the pot it's in. It's in some really quick draining mulch like substrate. Very organic...but, drains well. I was thinking repotting in the spring. But, that might not be wise...so since we are just now into the winter season...and temps finally getting cold. Suggestions?

wireme
They were in a mix of crushed granite and decayed wood particles about 50/50 and seemed to like it.

Since you mention decayed wood particles...curious...and this may be the most far fetched question. The wood particles it's currently planted in. Can't be recycled with just crushed granite added to it? :confused:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

V

Vic...re-reading...you say it can be repotted in early spring. So I might just do that. Passing on the airlayer...but with it weak I passed on chopping. Hoping it gets healthier. I seems happier...time will tell. But, isn't bonsai about patience...so I opted to just let it get stronger.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vic...re-reading...you say it can be repotted in early spring. So I might just do that. Passing on the airlayer...but with it weak I passed on chopping. Hoping it gets healthier. I seems happier...time will tell. But, isn't bonsai about patience...so I opted to just let it get stronger.

I'd say only repot if it is looking real healthy this fall. It looks a bit sad right now.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd say only repot if it is looking real healthy this fall. It looks a bit sad right now.

ed

It looked sad indeed, I've not updated a photo of it. It still has the die back from last winters hard arctic blast. But...the coloring of the tree looks better. It came in quick draining substrate. So that is a plus... It's tempting to want to see what is under the surface...but, in time. To rush it and kill it would be a waist. I've other projects for spring...which will allow me to be certain as to the direction I take with it.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
NIce score

Just landed one similar to this myself only not a leggy, but seriously depleted as the leaves are all yellow. I am going to track your progress on this.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ended up since it seemed to have good draining soil...to just allow it regain some health so when I work it...it stood a better chance at survival. It looks far healthier than it did last year. Looking forward to fall to work it.

image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done nothing but fertilize heavy until stated...and watered it. I really felt it was weak so I was worried to do much of anything but try and make it stronger. It's in the cold greenhouse now...but, seeing ones say fall or early winter. I'm wondering if I should do something now to it. :confused: or leave it be...and just continue to leave it in the pot it's in. It's in some really quick draining mulch like substrate. Very organic...but, drains well. I was thinking repotting in the spring. But, that might not be wise...so since we are just now into the winter season...and temps finally getting cold. Suggestions?

Since you mention decayed wood particles...curious...and this may be the most far fetched question. The wood particles it's currently planted in. Can't be recycled with just crushed granite added to it? :confused:

Hey, a question directed at me from Jan.
If you're still curious then yes, I reuse the woody stuff that's in some of my mixes, screened, if it doesn't pass through the screen I call it good for another round.

Glad its healthy and happy, I really like the western hemlock foliage, I find the layering effect of the needles really nice, nicer than mountain hemlock whose needles encircle a twig, westerns lay flatter from each side. I wonder where the killer material is though, pretty sure all the really impressive trees I've seen pics of were all mountain hemlock.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sux to have missed this one too!

Looks real good!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey, a question directed at me from Jan.
If you're still curious then yes, I reuse the woody stuff that's in some of my mixes, screened, if it doesn't pass through the screen I call it good for another round.

Glad its healthy and happy, I really like the western hemlock foliage, I find the layering effect of the needles really nice, nicer than mountain hemlock whose needles encircle a twig, westerns lay flatter from each side. I wonder where the killer material is though, pretty sure all the really impressive trees I've seen pics of were all mountain hemlock.

I too love the foliage...it's so soft. As well as I'm not allergic to it is a bonus. I've no real direction on where to take this...I may only continue to maintain it's health until I become inspired. It was a freebie, just seeing it retain it's health gave me confidence in my being able to keep it alive to some degree.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have two yamadori hemlocks right now-one huge old tree and a small younger one. I have killed a few nice ones learning how they like it, Never put them in full sun if you've done major root work- I've done this twice and killed both tree's. They really need to be worked very slowly to full sun and even then I keep mine in part sun and they seem to do just as well. Also it look like it's doing well in the spot you have so I think you've got that down! They also repair themselves really fast! Mine will completely seal a branch cut in one growing season-so in turn they graft very ez. Approach graft or 1 point graft may be something to consider as these don't back bud. I would maybe go for a high alpine look and graft branches where you need them?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...I decided to do an update...cut a good two foot off this tree. It's still undecided if it will ever make it to a bonsai pot. Or planted out at my dad's place. But for now...this is where it's at.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's crying out loud to be a bonsai! I see bonsai in its bones, there's no doubt about it. Why is there wire at the top? If you bonsai it, the tree will end up half its current height.

Top Bottom