Freebie Blue Point(?) Juniper

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I was visiting a local tree farm and made friends with the manager. While he was showing me around the property, I asked, do you have any trees that are damaged and you won't be able to sell? He kindly took me over to an area where there were several Italian Cypress and column style Juniper. He ended up giving me several trees that were not sellable for one reason or another. This tree in particular, was about 7ft and was laying down on its side. It was previously broken about 10" from the base. I didn't realize this until I began to work the tree. It was unfortunate where it had broke. The tree healed itself and left a huge reverse taper beginning right above where I made the chop. I don't have much to work with on this tree. There weren't many branches and the branches that were there were long and sparse. This tree has two really good features. It has almost a 3" trunk and nice bends. I've pruned the branches as far back as I could in order to leave some foliage on each of the branches. The new leader and the second branch are going to need more time than the first branch. The first branch isn't so bad. Plus it has a very strong root that's feeding it. I'll have to address the root in the future, but I'll leave it there for now. Hopefully between it, and the first branch, The trunk will continue to thicken. I'm going to repot this tree probably today. It's in a cut off 15g nursery container which I will continue to use. I'll probably remove about 30% of the roots and allow the tree to grow for another 2 years or so.

I know it's not the most impressive tree, but it was free. I'm really hoping for some back budding where the leader and the second branch meet the trunk. If/once it does, I will remove these two branches and just start over regrowing the new growth. I'm also hoping for additional buds to break (in the right places) so I can have more branches to work with. The tree does not have a back branch. I have a lot of hopes for sure but I believe, that in time, I will have something to be really proud of.

Attachments

• 0130172238.jpg
    0130172238.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I was so stoked about getting all of the free trees I forgot to ask which variety of juniper this was. I suppose it could also be a Spartan Juniper? It's not very blue at all. Definitely more green. If anyone could help me identify,it would be greatly appreciated.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't do anything else to it this year.
It sounds like you've cut off a lot the first go.
Let it recover if it can then repot.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything else to it this year.
It sounds like you've cut off a lot the first go.
Let it recover if it can then repot.
Shootz! Little too late. It was seriously root bound. Not to mention, the roots were encircled with some invasive species of grass. I should have taken a picture of it. The bottom 4" of the pot were covered in grass roots. I have it off in the shade for now. We have some really cool weather for the next week or so. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you are going to be the proud owner of a free piece of firewood. You took a lot off all at once and repotted it. I could be wrong but I would not hold too much hope that it will make it. This kind of drastic cutback can be done with many deciduous trees but for junipers you need to take things much slower.

I would recommend that you add your location to your profile. You will get much better information.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I think you are going to be the proud owner of a free piece of firewood. You took a lot off all at once and repotted it. I could be wrong but I would not hold too much hope that it will make it. This kind of drastic cutback can be done with many deciduous trees but for junipers you need to take things much slower.

I would recommend that you add your location to your profile. You will get much better information.
Location added, hope's up.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Here's the next freebie. Certainly doesn't have much taper nor many branches to work with. Not sure what I'm going to do with the top. Maybe bring that to a taper? The bottom right branch will be a jin. I stared at the tree for the last several weeks. Then stared at it again today for 2 hours before styling it.

Attachments

• Free tree.jpg
    Free tree.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 0203171531.jpg
    0203171531.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom