Freeze or Frost

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got my Christmas present, a Camellia and Azalea both from Brussels, standard out of the book trees. I as was reading about the azalea I noticed it said to keep from frost. Both of the trees I got are grown in the "cold house" at Brussels. So I know they are not protected from freezing temps. Brussels has about the same temp as we do here in Alabama / zone 8. So this got me to thinking about the frost and freeze. Tonight it is 30F outside, just walked out on the deck (you can see past the stars on a clear cold night...sorry..thats another story) no frost anywhere, although it is below freezing. Last week the low was around 38F-42F and it was white everywhere with frost. My new azalea has small buds all over it, that I assume are for spring. I can understand how a frost would damage these buds, but would it kill the tree? I realize they are protected from the frost when in the cold house (unheated green house) so the buds are OK there. I am trying to figure out what is the best place to keep this tree. I want it on the deck for full sun this winter, but do not know when it will frost or not. Maybe this is stuff I should have leaned in 6th grade, but was running my mouth instead of listening.
Keep LOOkin Up!
Michael

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"Both of the trees I got are grown in the "cold house" at Brussels. So I know they are not protected from freezing temps."

Not necessarily true, many cold houses are kept just above freezing to just below 40, a good temp range for winter dormancy.

I give many of my less that temperate trees a few frosts, but want to keep them from freezing thru the winter.

Top Bottom