Fresh Benches

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
web-benches-7-14-15.jpg
I was tired of my trees sitting on low boxes and random spots all over the place so it was time for some simple benches. Inspired by a thread on here the other day, I sketched a design on Friday, bought lumber that afternoon. Built both benches Saturday morning, stained Sunday, installed last night. My trees are way happier and I can look out my window and see them now. This side of the house is roughly south facing, and the soffit overhang keeps most heavy rain off the trees.

These are 8' long, 3' high, 2' wide slats. Each used (1) 4x4x8', (2) 2x6x8', (23) 1x4x2', 4 lag screws and a handful of stainless deck screws. They are in the ground in steel spiked post holders and I can easily remove the benches in winter and when we move if I choose.

My plan is to create a short slatted vertical screen wall for the air conditioner and gas meter in the background along the house, which will match the benches, and also 2 shorter benches further down the house. One will be for an outdoor workbench and "hospital", and the other will be covered in shadecloth for my maples and other delicate trees.

More photos later.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work, good for you. Will these be able to get the sun they need in the spring before the sun shifts to the south?

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I smile wryly as I read your question. By the time it's warm enough for most of these trees to be outside, the sun has swung already. We get a pretty good coverage though - even in early spring. Sigh....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad you thought of that. I always forget how short your season is up there.

Kevin99827

Seed
Reaction score
These look great, do you have any more pictures?

Top Bottom