Fresh Buds and Leaves!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have them in a garage right? I just checked and now I have Japanese maples moving and possible snow on Sunday ?...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You have them in a garage right? I just checked and now I have Japanese maples moving and possible snow on Sunday ?...
Yeah...
They were all over-wintered in there, and I been 2 stepping most days, as long as I can leave home late enough, but some days I go into work early and they stay in the garage.
There are windows so they get some light.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Nice!
I see at least one of your trees is in a metal colander; is there any risk for the roots involved with the metal ? TIA

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is the last one spirea?
Ha!
I knew someone would ask or guess!
You're right!
I have a row on the side of the house...pure beauty all year...found two small ones on the clearance rack at The Depot at the end of last fall... figured I'd see what they'll do, see what they'll take...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice!
I see at least one of your trees is in a metal colander; is there any risk for the roots involved with the metal ? TIA
It's a very high quality stainless steel strainer out of a large commercial dishwasher...
I don't know if that could be a problem...
This is the second tree I've had in it, first one was a red maple seedling that was clipped to death by a bird....

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's cool, I'd be interested in seeing how they do as bonsai, the foliage color can be great and the flowers are definitely small enough! Do you have a thread started for that one yet?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not yet...too ugly...

Hi JWI,
Just wanted some information about your bonsai soil you are using. It seems like you have a very uniform particle size, which has me thinking ....

It looks around 1/4 inch (4-6 mm)? Do you find you get better uniformity with roots and top growth from similar particle size ?
I know there are plenty of threads on soils and different media but my first attempts seem to have a mix of 2-6 mm and just curious for your thoughts.
Many thanks,
Charles

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rewarding time of year, isn't it? Few more weeks here...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi JWI,
Just wanted some information about your bonsai soil you are using. It seems like you have a very uniform particle size, which has me thinking ....

It looks around 1/4 inch (4-6 mm)? Do you find you get better uniformity with roots and top growth from similar particle size ?
I know there are plenty of threads on soils and different media but my first attempts seem to have a mix of 2-6 mm and just curious for your thoughts.
Many thanks,
Charles
This is my first year with this larger particle size.
The lava and pumice are generally the larger pieces, and the Haydite has more variety.
I will be top dressing them with chopped sphagnum soon, just haven't got the the store yet.

Some of mine have a top layer of smaller turface, which seems to be working well so far....but the best surprise is how well the lava, pumice and haydite mix stays damp...
So far I've been very happy with it as far as water retention, and drainage, I guess I'll find out next year how well the roots like it...

Top Bottom