Fresh Into Bonsai With Fukian Tea

Bryan T

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all!

First post on this forum. I very excited to be part of the awesome community here. Everyone seems very helpful and has some great trees!

I just bought this Fukian Tea as a pre-bonsai from a nursery in my area. Gentleman I got it from said it was almost a year old and suggested leaving it in the plastic pot for another 3 months or so before repotting. He also suggested not wiring the whole tree until it got a bit bigger.

I pruned it and added a few wires to start training it a bit. I want to get into ramification, but I'm not sure if this is the right time or how to go about it. I'm also considering removing the two bottom branches to accentuate the curved trunk. And for the Moss, I found a great little patch right by my apartment staircase, so I figured I'd give cultivation and application a try. Can I keep the most on their or should I remove it?

What I'm curious about is firstly, if the info given to me by the guy was correct, and secondly, any ideas/tips.

Thanks!
tmp_23566-2015-04-19 08.36.17 1-1221093296.jpg
tmp_23566-2015-04-19 08.23.43 11008107767.jpg
tmp_23566-2015-04-20 10.38.33 11482441467.jpg

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice Tree & Welcome to BN! I'm new myself, so I'm not going to mislead you! Good Luck

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Bryan T.

I never kept one but they like to drop leaves with a move, you can minimize this by keeping it in = or greater light than the nursery.

I think a summer repot is sound advice.

I wouldn't do anything else for a while.

Sorce

Bryan T

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! How about my pruning and wiring? Did I do ok?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I know is that branch inside the curve is breaking some rules and will have to be dealt with.

Couple folks here are good with them. I am not one!

The moss could bring rot inside.

Sorce

Bryan T

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah I see what you mean about the wiring being too loose. Should I wire the whole tree or just rewire the sections that are loose?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's very creative man, i lost my fukien tea because i put it from cold outside to warm inside last year and he didn't like that :(

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fukien Tea don't like much of anything...good luck with yours, Bryan. Looks healthy so far.

elena999

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fukien Tea have arep for being fussy...I have one (looks just like yours) I keep it out side until fall then took it in and put it on a pebble tray all winterunder lights..it looks great and never lost a leaf...its even flowering. I did not move it at all and did not let it get dry. I think they just dont like any change.. Picture was last year look s a lot better now..ood Luck

Attachments

• F.Tea.JPG
    F.Tea.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 21

Bryan T

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input and kind words! And yes Elena they do look alike lol! I'm about to fix the wiring and then just let it be for a while, although I'm still a bit confused about whether or not to wire the whole tree.

In the meantime I going to start looking for some more material for the collection. Thinking about either a maple, boxwood or ficus.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bryan T - what is your location. Do you know your climate zone?

Scott

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinking about either a maple, boxwood or ficus

A maple, a boxwood, and a ficus sounds good. Maybe 2 of each!

And 6 elms! Maybe a bakers dozen!

Sorce

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fukien Tea should grow very well in your zone outdoors in your zone. I keep mine outdoors in full sun 12 months per year in zone 9a. I protect it when temps drop below 30, but other than that they're outside next to my pines. Folks run into problems when they are grown outside of the zone or indoors.

Scott

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fukien tea are notoriously fussy and not a great beginner tree IMO. Dont get discouraged if it doesnt do well.

If you like tropicals, and since you are in Florida, some easy and great beginner trees are tiger bark ficus, Willow leaf ficus and Brazilian Rain trees.

Check out Miami Tropical Bonsai and Wigerts Bonsai for ideas on what grows best in your area. Both are in Florida and both have good websites. If you are close to one or both it would be worth a visit.

Also please update your profile with your location so we dont have to keep asking you.

Welcome to BNut and enjoy the journey.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's true that they don't translate out of zone very well and many have problems. I'd echo Paradox's suggestion to not get discouraged if it doesn't do well as you will not be alone. The good news for you is that you live in their native zone. So put that puppy outside and see how it does. Here in Houston they grow great - not very drought tolerant, but they are pretty easy to grow here. they are growing quite strong right now.

Scott

gjantzer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got one as a gift several months back. It's not doing well. It might wind up being the only tree I've lost in a couple of years. It was repotted and then given to me. I'm not sure if the repotting was too extreme or if the soil used was too organic and holding way too much water. I did an emergency repot to get the bulk of the moisture holding organic soil out. We will see how she does. I never could quite get a plan on how to develop one of these "Z" trunks. Just take baby steps and do your best to keep it alive. You have a lot of crossing branches that are visually busy so you will eventually decide to cut some when you learn a little more. Good start. Keep reading.

Top Bottom