Freshly Styled Chinese Elm

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I purchased this Chinese Elm late last year at Dragon Tree Bonsai in south Florida. Last week our local club held a workshop with Kathy Shaner and I used this tree as my subject. Her suggestions were a little different than my original thoughts, but i think it turned out pretty good. I still have some wiring work to do, but it is starting to bud out nicely.

201603187443EOS 40D.JPG 201603187444EOS 40D.JPG 201603187446EOS 40D.JPG 201603187448EOS 40D.JPG 201603187450EOS 40D.JPG 201603187452EOS 40D.JPG

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What was Kathy's advice? I like tall, more slender, trees, but this seems too tall for such a thin trunk.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What was Kathy's advice? I like tall, more slender, trees, but this seems too tall for such a thin trunk.

Her advise was to make it a "Broom Style" as you see here. prior to her workshop it had not been styled at all.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went into the workshop with the expectation she would suggest a drastic chop. When i asked about that, she took me outside and showed me several trees in nature and explained how they look. She said she is very much into "what nature does to trees.". So i went with the flow and we styled it as you see here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting! I would have expected a chop (and probably would do so, or at least strongly consider it, if it were my tree), but I also like taller thinner trunked trees. Not every tree has to have a big trunk.

Looking forward to seeing it develop. You're fortunate to have worked with Kathy, I've interacted with her a fair bit...always a good experience.

Chris

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I agree. It was a very interesting experience. As I said, going into it I expected a chop. In fact, some of the club members and I were discussing exactly where she would suggest making the cut. One of her comments was that following her last visit to Japan it was clear to her that we in America are far too eager to chop. Not all trees need to be chopped. She said that if we had chopped this tree, there would have been nothing left and it would take years of development to make a bonsai out of it. By taking this approach we can develop a nice bonsai in a much shorter period of time. Maybe she was just taking that approach because I am new to bonsai and she wanted to give me something I can actually work on and learn from.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't chop it either. Just yet that is. It would need that top to make the trunk fatter. Then I would chop it.

Top Bottom