Fretting about overwatering - a myth nowadays

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weather is not all that matters. Winter can give you good times too. You just have to try and find a way to enjoy all the seasons.
My wife was born in Rumania. Rumania gets snowy winters.
We don't, normally, get snow for more than a few days, if it stays that long.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny this came up...during the most recent Mirai Q&A someone asked this question (I'm paraphrasing):

"Walter Pall says that for trees in modern substrate, it is impossible to over-water. If you are unsure, just water more. All the excess water will drain out. Do you agree with this?"

Ryan gave a one word answer (anyone familiar with Ryan knows that this may be the only time he's ever given a one word answer to any question):

"No"

and on to the next question.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yup, it's not like 20-30 years ago... we had much more snow days than now :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(anyone familiar with Ryan knows that this may be the only time he's ever given a one word answer to any question):

"No"
Sorry but with that.. It is a nonsense answer. No explanation or whatsoever.

But.. It is made complex by many. I agree it is hard to kill trees by watering when in coarse open substrate

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry but with that.. It is a nonsense answer. No explanation or whatsoever.

But.. It is made complex by many. I agree it is hard to kill trees by watering when in coarse open substrate
I was surprised by the terse answer (he did seem a bit ticked off during the session, perhaps what happened earlier in the day with the sale and all the blowback from that). That said, he's explained his reasoning about watering countless times on the livestreams, Q&A's, etc.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2018 or 2019, not sure
Reading between the lines (always a risky proposition), my impression is that you did not have a good experience with Ryan. Would that be an accurate interpretation?

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is most annoying as a newer hobbyist is that in the lack of hard science for most questions people when explaining something will talk as if all choices are about the dichotomy of healthy and dead trees.

Yes it’s obvious that if you forget to water your tree it will die. But then the topics become a lot more nuanced and the conversation does not.

Walter Pall says that if you are using free draining substrate you should water and liquid fertilize a lot (youtube, no citation provided). Walter Pall has amazing trees.

Michael Hagedorn says that overwatering a tree will cause weak roots for the summer and eventually kill the tree (p. 141, no citation provided). Michael Hagedorn has amazing trees.

Not only can masters not agree upon what will and will not kill a tree but we can’t quantify what is even “better”.

/end rant

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Climate, substrate, watering and fertilizer make the magic quadrants in which you need to find the balance suited to your habits.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well.. Lets just say
That doesn't really help. Is the problem Ryan? The organizers? The other attendees? You? All of the above?

I don't really know they guy, I've only met him briefly a couple of times at the National Show in Rochester. I was on the photo crew one year and he was explaining to us how a certain tree needed to be moved, what to beware of (it was a Dan Robinson tree, very heavy in an expensive antique container on a rickety stand that was threatening to collapse at any moment). He wouldn't know me from Adam. What I've observed though is that when he is at these shows he is constantly mobbed by people wanting a piece of him. That has to be tiring and might tend to skew impressions about him if you're one of the throng trying to get some time with the master.

Perhaps he was demanding of the staff during the photo shoot? Wanted everything done a certain way?

I mean...why put out the teaser if you're not going to go into more detail.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mean...why put out the teaser if you're not going to go into more detail.
Sorry, I should not have. I on the other hand prefer to not stain people when they cannot explain themselves.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What is most annoying as a newer hobbyist is that in the lack of hard science for most questions people when explaining something will talk as if all choices are about the dichotomy of healthy and dead trees.

Yes it’s obvious that if you forget to water your tree it will die. But then the topics become a lot more nuanced and the conversation does not.

Walter Pall says that if you are using free draining substrate you should water and liquid fertilize a lot (youtube, no citation provided). Walter Pall has amazing trees.

Michael Hagedorn says that overwatering a tree will cause weak roots for the summer and eventually kill the tree (p. 141, no citation provided). Michael Hagedorn has amazing trees.

Not only can masters not agree upon what will and will not kill a tree but we can’t quantify what is even “better”.
One of the problems is that we are working with living things (trees) There will always be individual differences in tolerance depending on circumstances. Add to that the huge range of climates, soil types, pots, species and care and the permutations become huge. Everyone will answer according to their experiences in their particular microclimate and the soils and cultural practices they use. These days anyone can be an instant expert without scrutiny thanks to the internet so many opinions are based on very little real experience and sometimes only on a single instance. More experienced growers will have a wider range of experience but still limited to their locality and practices.
It would become really complex to cover all the nuances without spending inordinate time typing answers and, even then, the answers would still be limited to that person's particular experiences rather than the full range of possibilities.

I think the best we can do is try to pick out trends in the multitude of answers, try to cross reference with similar climates and cultural practices, pick out some possibilities that seem reasonable then begin to test theories for ourselves.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I think the best we can do is try to pick out trends in the multitude of answers, try to cross reference with similar climates and cultural practices, pick out some possibilities that seem reasonable then begin to test theories for ourselves.

In fact I think this is the *only* way.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We don't always have snowy winters here, in Romania (this is the name of the country). Last winter, for example, I barely saw the snow. I spent a few vacations in southern Munich in the past and I noticed the climates are not too different from here.
Funny this came up...during the most recent Mirai Q&A someone asked this question (I'm paraphrasing):

"Walter Pall says that for trees in modern substrate, it is impossible to over-water. If you are unsure, just water more. All the excess water will drain out. Do you agree with this?"

Ryan gave a one word answer (anyone familiar with Ryan knows that this may be the only time he's ever given a one word answer to any question):

"No"

and on to the next question.
Walter Pall says, in an article on his blog, that with modern substrates over-watering is almost impossible. Those words make quite a difference. I, for example, have a juniper (or something) in a small pot that stays wet for a longer period of time than the trees in much bigger pots. There are many factors involved, I know, but usually there are exceptions from rules. We can't really know a thing for sure if we never tried it. Until this year I was scared of overwatering, but I found out that it's not that easy to do it.

Top Bottom