Fretting over a juniper (procumbens ?)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've had this juniper 30-40 years. Starting as a staked mound.
Un-mounded a long time ago. Into present shape.

It's bothering me as it doesn't seem to be enough trunk to keep it alive. But it is.

I've labeled some concerns in the pictures. IF it has a live vein (or veins) they sure aren't much.
Some of the wet nebari has rotted off. Pix show and also show the bark peel. (which I don't worry about)

It's SOLID in the pot and I don't plan to repot.

Last pic is the whole tree.

j4.jpg

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

Comments invited.

:)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Being in extreme drought again this year complicates this - gets wet stays wet scenario
and no plans or need to repot. I would be worried too Mike.
Do you recall soil composition and any record of moss or moisture damage in past years,
maybe a shari or division? Something got it started when...

Start by raking the soil away from the trunk and allow it to dry out.
You'll have to water carefully, and pay a bit more attention to foliage misting.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Being in extreme drought again this year complicates this - gets wet stays wet scenario
and no plans or need to repot. I would be worried too Mike.
Do you recall soil composition and any record of moss or moisture damage in past years,
maybe a shari or division? Something got it started when...

Start by raking the soil away from the trunk and allow it to dry out.
You'll have to water carefully, and pay a bit more attention to foliage misting.

Drainage layer of hyuga and lava, progressive combo of med-large akadama mixed with lava.
I have been consciously facing that "wet" spot to the sun which does help to dry it.

( Our local kiln weather doesn't help much.)

I don't want to repot as it ...seem... to be so lightly supported by the seemingly small nebari junction with the substrate.
I'm sure that it would be a mistake to whonk into those roots.
I've considered trying to find a way to strengthen, support, paste or some material to add bulk down there.
But aside from glopping on a wad of epoxy, I'm coming up with nothing.

Moss....other than a tiny bit that shows up occasionally.... gets tweezered off whenever it shows up.

I think besides raking soil from the nebari, I will also plow a trench around the edge of the pot to direct water away from the center.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree doesnt appear to be unhealthy unless I am missing something?
There is a lot of foliage so there must be enough live tissue to support that?

I agree with Japonicus though, be careful of that wet spot.
The soil looks good so Im having a hard time understanding why it is staying wet

I wouldnt try to cover it up with epoxy, that will seal in any moisture and cause problems.
I would need to be totally dry for you do to that.
I wonder if some other type of wood preservative (wood penetrator?) if you can get it dry would be better so that its not sealing in the moisture and it can breathe more.
Not sure if that is entirely necessary at this point though

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
HOLY JUNIPEROLI !!!

That edge trenching is working beautifully.
The water is traveling down the edge of the soil and finding that "drainage layer" of hyuga and lava.
I can see it traveling up the newly uncovered nebari rootbark. I'd bet that there is a big mass of feeder roots down there.

I even did some other trees that way.
Have an elm that is yelling for a deeper pot repot next year. Not as wet at base as the juniper WAS but still not what I like.

I really should have realized that instinctively since wet at center was the problem.

Sure, I have to use my little pot of goldfish water which slows things down for the morning floods.

But this is gonna be NICE. :)

Even prompted me to sharpen my scissors that I've been putting off. 😄

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your grass looks better than mine, and look at our rainfall...
1660423380499.png
You have to be irrigating, so is this tree privy to that? If so, then I would bet therein lies the issue.
I agree with the wood penetrator idea when it gets dried out. Unfortunately I'm not experienced with it
so cannot make a recommendation. Have heard of it in passing.
Of course the setting the tree is pictured in may not, and hopefully is not the setting where
this juniper is kept most of the time.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nope. It sits on the rack that is under the patio overhang. Sun til about 12-1 and shade begins at 11.

here.jpg

Topdec

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great set up, I've only just started out on my bonsai journey, got a chinese elm and a couple of blue squamata junipers. Hope 1 day to have a bench like that

Top Bottom