Friend gave me a gift!!

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi everyone!

I just want to share picture of a pot a friend of mine made for me.

I made alot of real size drawing of different pots, trying to find one that will suit my trees in the future.
It seems that he decide to steal one of my drawing, helped by my wife and made the pot for me!
Its not "fired" yet but he call me for a beer tonight and the pot was sitting in his shop.
That's his first bonsai pot ever, he is very talented!
The finish is made with a pine cone that he used as a stamp.

An happy guy here!!
Cant wait for repoting my spruce in it!!

View attachment 422315
View attachment 422316
View attachment 422317
the pot is fantastic. what do the critics say about the size of the drain holes. just wondering

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Personally I think the holes are a bit large, but that is what most people want.
Yes you're right!
In fact I had this in mind especially for my ficus.
Usually what happen is that this big guy will grow roots under the pot in a matter of days!
It doesnt take long for the roots to occupy the drainage holes and continue to grow outside the pot.
I wanted to try something different where the roots will still escape but they will be easier to manage and wont block the holes as before.
The tree also take a fair amount of water per day so for sure it will be able to escape too!

Oh on a side note Pat gave me another pot last week !!! I had in mind a "bark" finish on the outside and told him I was pretty sure it would look great.
He saw my Thuya that is a tanuki and made this for the tree:
20230307_160320.jpg
20230307_160324.jpg
20230307_160342.jpg
20230307_160349.jpg

The tree:
20220625_003846.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes you're right!
In fact I had this in mind especially for my ficus.
Usually what happen is that this big guy will grow roots under the pot in a matter of days!
It doesnt take long for the roots to occupy the drainage holes and continue to grow outside the pot.
I wanted to try something different where the roots will still escape but they will be easier to manage and wont block the holes as before.
The tree also take a fair amount of water per day so for sure it will be able to escape too!

Oh on a side note Pat gave me another pot last week !!! I had in mind a "bark" finish on the outside and told him I was pretty sure it would look great.
He saw my Thuya that is a tanuki and made this for the tree:
View attachment 475749
View attachment 475750
View attachment 475751
View attachment 475752

The tree:
View attachment 475753
You have some good friends! Very cool pot.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Next, Pat is going to give you a diamond.
As long as he make me new pots to my specifications we will stay happy together ;p

He's on retirement since a year now, I think he doesnt have much going on and I think he's just bored ahaha Great for me and my tree!
Btw I will encourage him to create a profile here as I think he would like to make some more bonsai pots for people who are interrested.

Top Bottom