From Dusk till Dawn

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well these things never go as planned. Took a trip today to a proper "tree nursary", down into Pembrokeshire, a 70 mile round trip through the arse of nowhere roads.. lots of trees. Went looking for good hedging stock, field maples, elms ect. But nothing grabed for the cost.. ( well grabed a nice yew for £19 but anyways..)

As always, right at the back corner of the place, there was two big old 4 meter high dawns... worked on her a bit, and the deal was done at £60. Chopped at handshake.
20180414_133831.jpg

Was going to leave as is after the chop, but curiosity got me digging a bit after it was home.. the sheer amount of weevles in just the top section of soil, and the fact it's a dawn, the decision was made to make an all in play. (Thought I took more mid work pics, as well)
20180414_194648.jpg20180414_195556.jpg20180414_201244.jpg20180414_201333.jpg

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
18" from the 4" above the flare, so 6" of apex to build, minus a few cutting back to it. Well see how it goes. Nothing this year now.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where’d you get those baskets? :)

Think that one was home bargains. Just storage baskets. Couple mins with a dremel to remove most of the rim underneath, so your left with feet. Drill tie wire holes, two nice size drainage holes and mesh them and the side handles.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Think that one was home bargains. Just storage baskets. Couple mins with a dremel to remove most of the rim underneath, so your left with feet. Drill tie wire holes, two nice size drainage holes and mesh them and the side handles.

How long have you been using that type of container? I’ve considered it, but worry about it’s ability to make it through weather, sun, etc without totally disintegrating.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How long have you been using that type of container? I’ve considered it, but worry about it’s ability to make it through weather, sun, etc without totally disintegrating.

The ones that did the full year last year are still A1. I don't expect to reuse them for years mind.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That a "proper colander" IMO...
The weave will guide all the roots to exit.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Post for the tree talk, end up talking about baskets...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dang this is cool now! Good transformation.. very interesting too cos the original stock really is a big stick in a pot (with a good base). This was a good idea..

I take it you waited for growth and selected that leader, then started all the carving? Then pruned again and wired, and here we are?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Conor, keeping well?

There was a few options after the two seasons of growth. Two branches had grown and nothing more was popping any higher on the trunk. Apart from minor wiring and summer trims, this is the first work on it.

So the front was chosen, top block carved, the higher branch removed and some additional Dremel work. Bottom branch then wired to the new tree, and a coat of sulphur.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Conor, keeping well?

There was a few options after the two seasons of growth. Two branches had grown and nothing more was popping any higher on the trunk. Apart from minor wiring and summer trims, this is the first work on it.

So the front was chosen, top block carved, the higher branch removed and some additional Dremel work. Bottom branch then wired to the new tree, and a coat of sulphur.

I’m good thanks, yourself? :)

What made you decide to do this with the lower branch and not the higher? Given the height of the tree, I’d have thought you’d want a higher branch to keep?
Looks good, definitely cool. It’s a good thing it’s a dawn, as I think they suit that kind of style. If it were an elm, it wouldn’t.

Top Bottom