From Only Everyone My Interest Needs Assistance

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
By the way, as you dont really care if it dies, why not go nuts in the design in stead of rhe simple kinda boring thing you did, jin the top, make shari, heck split the trunk and get some movement. There is enough crazy inside you, im sure of that so work it on the tree.

Note that this advice will likely kill your tree..but it could be fun..
And spruces are normally worked in fall

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd find an angle and a way to replant this on a significant slant...not a gentle slant....a really good slant.....like it was on the side of a Rocky Mountain face. The roots appear to look like they can handle a hard slant. That would give a good reason for some distressed branches. Right now it just looks like a young tree....It's needs some growth years.....More maturity....It's missing character and excitement. But it has potential.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
crazy inside you

I had to chop the first time to hide it from the landlord!
I'm still trying to have it survive cuz....

potential

I haven't even uncovered the base yet...it could get better.

It does seem to have a slantable roots,
I looked at it for an angle, but the tree itself is so pole straight....
Everything is still set for a possible slant.

Thanks so much guys!

50/50 whole jin possibilities.
Maybe even 70/30! Oops!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was told that Alberta spruces take forever to hold the wiring...:mad:

I couldn't tell, it took no time to mine to die :rolleyes:

Hope you've got a better luck with yours! :)

@Alain - Everything you said about Dwarf Alberta Spruce is true, but the tree @sorce has, is not a Dwarf Alberta Spruce - it is different. Even though it too is under the general name Picea glauca.

Dwarf Alberta Spruce is a dwarf mutation of an eastern north american form of Picea glauca. It is a specific mutation, a witches broom, the name does not apply to normal forms of Picea glauca, who has several common names, most often White Spruce. The normal 'wild form' of Picea glauca used for timber production does not have the same quirky growth habits of the Dwarf Alberta Spruce used for landscaping.

The Black Hills Spruce is a subspecies of Picea glauca, that occurs in a region centered around North and South Dakota in western North America. It is an area that is quite different than most of the eastern range of Picea glauca in that it is a "Badlands", a type of desert environment. From where you live, in Illinois, the South Dakota Badlands are about a 12 hour drive. When you get into the Badlands proper you would think you landed on a different planet. Quite different than the lush corn fields and prairies of Illinois. The Black Hills Spruce will survive very low humidity, dry air, high heat, and dry soils much better than White Spruce or Dwarf Alberta Spruce. It is botanically and horticulturally a rather different creature. The Black Hill Spruce does occur mainly in the higher elevation "Hills" more or less above the Badlands rather than in the Badlands proper, so its native environment does have moisture available to the roots for much more of the year than down in the Badlands proper, but it is one of the most drought tolerant of spruce species around. They are not like cacti - they do need water, but relative to Picea mariana and eastern forms of Picea glauca, Black Hills Spruce will tolerate low humidity and dryer soils.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Alain - Everything you said about Dwarf Alberta Spruce is true, but the tree @sorce has, is not a Dwarf Alberta Spruce - it is different. Even though it too is under the general name Picea glauca.

Yes I know. Actually that was my first answer to @sorce that his tree doesn't look like an Alberta spruce even if it was labelled as such...:)
But then time passed and I guess I forgot :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20160425_074417.jpg

Bloody Hell!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive seen blue spruce and Norway spruce in those red pots at HD. I'm thinking Norway. It's not blue enough to be blue imo.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This foliage is rather blue tinged....especially against the Alberta left of it.....

Maybe a better ID?
Or should I just be happy with Foemina!?

Crazy strong and even growth....
Digging it!
20160510_160544.jpg

And a couple of defenders.20160510_160215.jpg

This is another 2....the bottom one eating...the top one tried to come down for some and got ran off....nice!
20160510_155637.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahaha! Leo is coming by to bring me a couple more of these BHS, found at a Michigan nursery on the cheap!

Leo is a traveling badass!

This one has faired well, put on more thick than I expected.
20160813_082232.jpg

So I may cut back to this angled up left branch.20160813_082243.jpg

But it'll look kinda stupid so straight and then changing. What do you think?

Buds are effing swollen.20160813_082255.jpg

Super healthy. Too many Friggin buds!

Other side.20160813_082349.jpg

I may end up repotting one of the 3 just to do something.

@GrimLore you wanna talk to me about repotting spruce in this thread?

This tree could actually USE a slow down!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore you wanna talk to me about repotting spruce in this thread?

Sure, and I going to tell you what I am seeing there before beer 30!

Those buds you are seeing are not going to pop this year, they are setting for Spring when you will see them expand and finally bust open with lush new growth.

If you don't want them to do that, perhaps to fatten the branches or any of a dozen reasons do not cut them off now, wait until the tree is dormant in early Winter. At this point it will just bleed sap and not do any good for the tree.

Most Spruce toss their sap and energy to the upper portion of the plant but it can be controlled a bit by Winter pruning and heavy sealing, like a tube of outdoor contractor adhesive, not much else stops the sap at cuts when it is growing and really slows down development. Also, be careful what you cut away from the lower portion as it will take ages to replace.

Repotting can be done right now, during the hot weather BUT I am going to toss some advice your way as it is potted and they react a bit different then landscape.

Remove the nursery pot by cutting it away and avoid handling the trunk of the tree. If you knock the needles off of the trunk now you will really mess up the tree as the sap needed for the upper portion will pump out the base...
Cut off "some" of the lowest root. I think 2 inches on yours guessing the size.
Just handling the root ball break up the outer roots gently and not a lot, like an inch at most.
Slip pot into similar substrate at this time of year. Everything you did up to this point will promote the roots growing out horizontal and repeated a few times it will allow a much more shallow potting down the road.
Water it in good and if it is anything like Spruce here I soak mine hardcore up to three times a day because I keep it in full sun.
Spruce are pretty cool honest but they do need a bit of different care the first few years.

I think I covered what I experience here but if there is any more call me anytime!

Grimmy

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Grimmy!

I think I will hold off repotting this one as of yet. Since it wintered excellent last year and is doing quite well.

My other 2 have arrived...so I will Probly test repot one of them.

I am aware of the bud situation.
What I wasn't really prepared for...
Is the amount of buds..everywhere on this thing.
I may just wait till winter to knock some off, and maybe put the saw to some parts.
But I will have to study it carefully, cuz as you said...I'm not going to get that low stuff back anytime soon.

I really wasn't expecting it to get away from me as fast as it did. The lowest branch has gone quickly out of proportion.
Soon as it hardened off everything out on girth real fast!

Hell, with the way the new leader grew and thickened up, I could almost use that, and go for part 2!

Gotta go clean out my new Crypto!

Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois !

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I may cut back to this angled up left branch.

I like that idea, leave a jinn.

If your wondering about repotting spruce now browse through W.P.'s blog and look at August posts. Lots of spruce repots and comments like " you're sure spruce can be repotted, now? Yes"

Top Bottom