From Seed Division: Ginkgo, Pin Oak, American Elm, Sycamore, and Flowering Dogwood

Gabler

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sowing the following seeds:

Ginkgo biloba
Quercus palustris
Ulmus americana
Planatus occidentalis
Cornus florida f. rubra
I'll post pictures later, when I take the seeds out of cold stratification and sow them outside this spring.

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For bonsai all are good choices except the Planatus occidentalis, sycamore. The sycamore has a coarse branching pattern, and very large leaves. It will likely frustrate your efforts to reduce leaf size and get fine ramification. Try to work with it. You might have more success than others have had.

The rest are excellent. I have a fair number of ginkgo seedlings scattered around.

Gabler

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For bonsai all are good choices except the Planatus occidentalis, sycamore. The sycamore has a coarse branching pattern, and very large leaves. It will likely frustrate your efforts to reduce leaf size and get fine ramification. Try to work with it. You might have more success than others have had.

The rest are excellent. I have a fair number of ginkgo seedlings scattered around.

I'll more than likely plant them in the ground to grow into full sized trees, but I figure it can't hurt to experiment. Worst case scenario, I learn something.

Top Bottom