From Seed Division: Haines’ Trees Dawn Redwood Thread

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In a fairly “classic Haines” move I have relatively few photos of these bad boys at a young age. The earliest on I can find is dated August 7th of last year
3B4572F6-56A1-4FC6-921E-0682A39C5F56.jpeg
I had quite a few individuals in this particular pot, 14 if I remember correctly in just a baby 3 inch pot. So mid August I decided to separate them since they were looking pretty vigorous.
370ECEC3-A960-474C-B722-2BBCA3D1138C.jpeg
Here we have it out of the pot and very few roots in this picture…. It ended up like this
9D3BCD5D-528E-4C90-A3CF-1D995A0286E8.jpeg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As for other pots of Dawn redwood planted last year, I couldn’t tell you what happened to them, if I remember correctly I had a pretty crummy showing from them last year. Perhaps that explains my lack of initial enthusiasm.

I tossed it in the ground for the winter and forgot about it. I did transplant them in a plastic training pot that’s a little flimsier than I’d like so I don’t move it around much, but I did bring it in today because it badly needed some work and here’s where we are.
E1BB1BCB-53C7-4212-91D9-71214A49E95C.jpeg
We have had the expected casualties from the repotting, but if I had left them in the original pot all year I don’t believe I’d have been able to save many in the process of the spring repot.

They obviously didn’t need it this spring so I tossed it on the bench and now the remaining 8 are what you see. I know 8 is a naughty number but I figure I’ll lose some more along the way. Haha

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
84B948AC-E799-4A44-9736-121A39B8BDE2.jpeg
I have a very small number of options for pots on hand to use for something like these redwoods. This one is a bit smaller, but it’s not wobbly like the black plastic one it was in before which I prefer. I’ll need to keep an eye out for any kind of pot that will be a good size for these. In the meantime, I think they’re looking alright.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the update. Do you place the pot in a tray of shallow water, like some do for bald cypress?
They seem to enjoy it.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I haven’t! I’ve not had a lot of trouble with these wilting so I never think to do it. Maybe worth a shot

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_0755.jpeg
After a good growing season; they’re finally starting to look like something. I’m pretty sure I lost that little one in the front, so we’re at 7 individuals now. I have identified a larger pot for these to go into in the spring which will hopefully help move us along some.

Top Bottom