From Seed Division: Kanorin's Lodgepole and Aspen mountainside planting

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Warning, experiment in progress! I've never done anything like this before. This past winter I built this funky box to look like a mountainside planting. And while my box-building skills aren't amazing, I think I was able to cover up the flaws pretty well using a homemade muck (roughly equal parts akadama/kiryu dust : sphagnum moss : water.
IMG-7068.jpg
IMG-7070.jpg
IMG-7072.jpg
The research participants: Lodgepole pines that I harvested as cones from last years' visit to Colorado (needed to bake them in the oven for ~30 minutes to get the cones to open and be fertile) and Quaking aspen seeds that I purchased.
IMG-7073.jpg

I noticed (and then later verified) that aspens start to be found about 6,500 feet of elevation and lodgepole pines in the Colorado rocky mountains are usually found between about 8000-10,000 feet. Also, these trees are often found in mono-species stands, where one species will dominate a few hundred square feet or so. So I tried to mimic this growth pattern in miniature, with some Aspen stands lower on the mountainside and a large stand of lodgepoles higher up. Obviously, there are plenty of other interesting species in Rocky mountain forests, but this planting will only feature these two. I'm hoping the aspen will throw a few more trunks through root suckers as they tend to do in the wild.
IMG-7074.jpg
IMG-7075.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I imagine the aspen could possibly shade out some of the lodgepole pine seedlings. You might not have as many pine seedlings as you planted.

While they cohabitate in nature, share mycorrhiza associations in nature, in a pot the mechanics might not work out as nicely.

But it is an interesting experiment, the growth rate difference is quite dramatic, I could not have predicted that.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: the aspens continue to love this. In fact, they have rooted through my box and into the ground, which is probably why they are outpacing the lodgepoles by such a wide margin. The two largest ones have fused and are about 9 feet tall. Increasingly this May end up as just an aspen grove. Also, this box is probably going to fall apart when I have to unearth the aspens.
2D5D5A7B-C90A-42B4-A7F1-FFF70D97770F.jpeg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd consider saving those pines while you can. They're not getting enough light through those aspens and will die.
Yeah, I think you're right. The box is falling apart, so I'll need to deconstruct and repot everything in spring anyway.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love the idea of this project.

I think the issue is Aspen appears to be a riparian and or edge tree …as such they may be limited by their ultimate height vs that of the Ponderosa.

Two things maybe could help.

Get taller, more developed Ponderosa and put these on the sun side.

Delay planting the Aspen, look for dwarf cultivars if there are any, or prune the aspen vigorously…(this would make these trees a bit gnarly… would have to study the natural trees to get the best ideas on what would be realistic.

Or maybe shift the Aspen to a dwarf Birch…?

Just a thought

Cheers
DSD sends

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For the purposes of this contest - this might turn into an aspen grove only. I'll probably see if I can get some root cuttings to take of the aspens to set aside for a future planting with the pines (but I'll give the pines more of a head start there).

Top Bottom