From Semi to Full Cascade with a Cork Bark Japanese Black Pine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider as opinion instead of offense please but original 2014 pot vastly preferable to newest one😞. Good health continues well.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honest question: are the pictures supposed to be viewed with 3d glasses?
Well, because of the type of anaglyph image those pictures are, I felt you could view them either way, with or without red/cyan glasses. They are much more dynamic with the glasses, but many bonsai practitioners don't have them. Rather than harp on it, however you can view them is fine.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider as opinion instead of offense please but original 2014 pot vastly preferable to newest one😞. Good health continues well.
I agree with you, except the pot had become too small. I am looking for a larger pot, but at the moment, I haven't found one.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a comparison of the original potting (shaded) with the new potting. It has come up quite a ways.

1629577517236.png
The gray horizontal lines show where the top of the old pot came,

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently, I noticed that it was getting more and more difficult to see the corking on my Cascade Ondae. It seemed as though there were too many branches and too much foliage in the way.

I have a collection of pictures and books that feature cascade cork bark Japanese black pines. I saw that most of these bonsai have a single trunk with the foliage and branches cut back so the corking is visible.

My Ondae had two cascading trunks. Additionally, the main trunk was curved rather than straight. I quickly saw that I could defoliate the small trunk, leaving the tree with 75% of its foliage unchanged and all the corking still in place. Here is my basic plan for making the cork more visible:

Foliage Removed Ondae Front 11-25-21.jpg

I don’t do operations like this quickly. I thought about it for two years before going ahead.

The faded portion of the picture is what I intended to remove. That would make finding a new front necessary. Here are the results:

Ondae Cascade Modified Single.jpg
The canopy still needs a lot of work. Even though this tree is large, (32” wide), the needles could be shorter.

Top Bottom