Frost Advisory Tonight

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please please please, no frost tonight. I had a situation arise today where I spent almost the entire day in the hospital with my mom. If it frosts tonight I could potentially lose a couple thousand dollars worth of tropicals I didn't have a chance to move. Man,, I don't need this. I think this year is so far tougher than last for me on many levels.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh no.
I’m sorry to here about your mom.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
First, I hope your mom is OK, and am sorry this year is starting out badly for you. 🤞🙏 for no frost, and that things start to look up for you.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dam penumbra. I’d be there in a heart beat. Best wishes for your momma and your trees.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hope your mom is ok first and foremost! I saw a low of 39 tonight in your location so hopefully not too bad. Good luck and post updates!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hope your mom is well and your trees did not freeze.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please please please, no frost tonight. I had a situation arise today where I spent almost the entire day in the hospital with my mom. If it frosts tonight I could potentially lose a couple thousand dollars worth of tropicals I didn't have a chance to move. Man,, I don't need this. I think this year is so far tougher than last for me on many levels.
I hope your mom gets well soon.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, good ol’ Mother Nature is out to get us, again, with a False Spring followed by a frost and freeze alert, Tuesday & Wednesday in Detroit. We can do something about it, -nothing guaranteed of course, but something is better than nothing. You can spend Sunday & Monday getting prepared by filching cardboard boxes from the dumpsters behind specialty, variety, and florist shops, acquiring some carton tape from big box and making low boxes for use on Monday and Tuesday nights. You can use all different sizes because lots of plants have small footprints, so get all the sizes you can stuff in your vehicle. Any boxes that are too tall can be split down the middle with a razor knife to make two. Remove the boxes before the sun overheats the plants underneath and makes them even more tender for the 2nd night.

For large beds of perennials, tall-ish roses, or mulched-in bonsai you can run a lawn sprinkler all night. The constant flow of water will keep the immediate area the temperature of water, and also provide some protection against frost by coating the leaves will ice. I don’t understand how it works, but the citrus orchardists do this successfully.

Good Luck, and of course, Pass It On!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am overwhelmed by the response and thank you everyone. I overreacted probably and I dodged the frost although there was some in pockets nearby. Better chance by far on Wednesday and possibly Thursday, so I will start moving things tomorrow.
Mom is stable at the hospital awaiting some tests and an exploratory. She is after all going on 94. I just don't want her to suffer the metaphorical death by a thousand cuts. She is pretty miserable having lost dad 3 months ago but there is nothing to be down about it except to be there.
Things again to everyone. None of us are immune, it is the flip side of life. 💞

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Most importantly your mom is OK, and you were where you needed to be, with her. Happy to hear your trees are OK also. We have frost coming Tuesday and Wednesday, snow possible Tuesday. :mad:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am overwhelmed by the response and thank you everyone. I overreacted probably and I dodged the frost although there was some in pockets nearby. Better chance by far on Wednesday and possibly Thursday, so I will start moving things tomorrow.
Mom is stable at the hospital awaiting some tests and an exploratory. She is after all going on 94. I just don't want her to suffer the metaphorical death by a thousand cuts. She is pretty miserable having lost dad 3 months ago but there is nothing to be down about it except to be there.
Things again to everyone. None of us are immune, it is the flip side of life. 💞
Good to hear penumbra. Such a fickle and beautiful life we live. ❤️

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Every timeI look at the forecast it gets worse. Now lows for Monday 34, Tuesday 31, Wednesday 29. I have to stop looking.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every timeI look at the forecast it gets worse. Now lows for Monday 34, Tuesday 31, Wednesday 29. I have to stop looking.
Really though. I’ve never been so terrified of a 35 degree forecast. I’m getting soft in my ripe old age of 37. 😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most importantly your mom is OK, and you were where you needed to be, with her. Happy to hear your trees are OK also. We have frost coming Tuesday and Wednesday, snow possible Tuesday. :mad:
Thanks Carol.
Weather, don't we love to hate it.

Top Bottom