Frost Advisory Tonight

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For large beds of perennials, tall-ish roses, or mulched-in bonsai you can run a lawn sprinkler all night. The constant flow of water will keep the immediate area the temperature of water, and also provide some protection against frost by coating the leaves will ice. I don’t understand how it works, but the citrus orchardists do this successfully.
How it works:
To take liquid water and freeze it, two things have to happen:
  1. The water has to be cooled down from its initial temperature to 0 °C.
  2. The water has to undergo a phase change from liquid water at 0 °C to ice at 0 °C.
Both of those things require that the water lose some of its energy to its surroundings.

To cool the water down from its initial temperature requires that it give up about 4.2 kJ/L/°C (this is called the heat capacity of water). So, let's say your tap water is 10 °C. So, for every liter of water that falls on your trees from the sprinkler, it's going to take 42 kJ to cool it down from 10 °C to 0 °C. Freezing that water requires that it give up more energy, called the heat of fusion, to change state from a liquid to a solid. The heat of fusion of water is about 334 kJ/L. So, each liter of 10 °C tap water from your sprinkler that falls on the trees has to lose a total of about 376 kJ of energy in order to turn to ice. That's actually quite a significant amount of energy, enough to power a 60 W lightbulb for over an hour and a half. Nature has to take that much energy away from the thin layer of sprinkler water that's coating the plants before any of the plant tissue will start to freeze, causing damage. Unless it's very very cold outside, the sprinkler water isn't going to lose enough of its energy fast enough for the plants to receive damage.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still have a freeze warning tonight. Hard to tell this morning what was left over snow from yesterday, or heavy frost. I thought it was supposed to be spring???
Mother nature doesn't use a calendar and she certainly has no sense of humor.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My stuff has been popping buds and leafing out for over a month so last night they went back in the garage. Turns out we only hit 31F so there likely would not have been any problems but it wasn’t worth the gamble. However I know that in a few years several will be too heavy for me to lift and rnu down to the garage several times each spring. So I have to come up with some way to protect them in emergencies. Maybe a popup greenhouse with a space heater?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMHO, a lot of people are overly concerned with these late frosts. Unless you are working with tropicals, I don't see a lot of urgency. I have a lot of tropicals and they are inside now. Nothing else of mine has any other protection at this point. This includes 35 year old plants and new seedlings. I can't speak to the conditions that are going on in the far north any more than I can for the deep south. But in the 30+ years I have lived where I am, the worst I have experienced from late freezes is burnt leaves on my JM and a few other deciduous plants from which no permanent damage has occurred. And this has happened maybe 3 times in all of these years.
I certainly understand that there will always be exceptions to every conceivable rule, and I guess there always is the point of better safe than sorry but I just accept that things will happen. If you stay within your zone for your outdoor bonsai there is little chance of damage.
I sincerely hope everyone makes it though OK.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad to hear mom is okay! It’s always an unnerving situation when a family member goes into the hospital, and especially when they’re on the older side. And of course it’s nice that you dodged a bullet with the tropicals.

We had what was hopefully our last dip below freezing here in Chicagoland last night. I’ve been playing the two step the last couple days with last years seedlings that I repotted a little while ago. Stupid false springs....

I think two or three years ago we had accumulating snow one day, warmed up to almost 80 by the next evening, then rainy and in the 40s the following day. It was early May if I remember correctly.

There is a saying in Chicagoland: If you don’t like the weather just wait around 5 minutes, it’ll change.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMHO, a lot of people are overly concerned with these late frosts. Unless you are working with tropicals, I don't see a lot of urgency. I have a lot of tropicals and they are inside now. Nothing else of mine has any other protection at this point. This includes 35 year old plants and new seedlings. I can't speak to the conditions that are going on in the far north any more than I can for the deep south. But in the 30+ years I have lived where I am, the worst I have experienced from late freezes is burnt leaves on my JM and a few other deciduous plants from which no permanent damage has occurred. And this has happened maybe 3 times in all of these years.
I certainly understand that there will always be exceptions to every conceivable rule, and I guess there always is the point of better safe than sorry but I just accept that things will happen. If you stay within your zone for your outdoor bonsai there is little chance of damage.
I sincerely hope everyone makes it though OK.

Its only April here, we have gotten snow storms with 2 feet in April and we can get some very cold days with dry wind in May.
I have literally had to wear a winter coat and hat on Memorial Day weekend because it was cold and windy.
This is why my Tropicals dont go outside until mid June the earliest.

I brought in a couple of maples and a larch that were leafing out because I didnt want wind chills in the 20s frying thier new foliage
I have one maple that is still outside up against the house where it is sheltered by the wind. I havent gone out to look to see how its new leaves faired.

All my pines and junipers stayed on the bench. They should be fine.

Im feeling a bit under the weather today.
I got my second COVID shot yesterday and its kicking my butt today so motivation to do anything besides sit around and nap is not forthcoming.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got my second COVID shot yesterday and its kicking my butt today so motivation to do anything besides sit around and nap is not forthcoming.
My son had his second shot Tuesday and felt terrible yesterday. Just out of curiosity, which one did you get? My son got the Moderna and several others I know that got that one had a reaction from the 2nd shot. I got the Pfizer, and didn't have any reaction. Or maybe mine was just water....🤔

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My son had his second shot Tuesday and felt terrible yesterday. Just out of curiosity, which one did you get? My son got the Moderna and several others I know that got that one had a reaction from the 2nd shot. I got the Pfizer, and didn't have any reaction. Or maybe mine was just water....🤔
I got the Pfizer and I didn't feel so great after #2. I was very tired for two days and a little under the weather. Could have been one of my other problems but the timing was right for the vaccine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got the Pfizer and I didn't feel so great after #2. I was very tired for two days and a little under the weather. Could have been one of my other problems but the timing was right for the vaccine.
That's interesting. I guess it's more how each individual reacts to it then, not which one they received.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I felt sick after my first Pfizer dose. I had classic vaccine side effects. Fatigue, soreness, and just generally feeling blah. Almost didn’t go into work, hoping the second one is a breeze

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I felt sick after my first Pfizer dose. I had classic vaccine side effects. Fatigue, soreness, and just generally feeling blah. Almost didn’t go into work, hoping the second one is a breeze
Hope it goes better but be prepared.
At any rate, its better than the alternative. ;)

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Trust me, I know! I had a mysterious sickness in April of last year. No testing was available for regular people then but my doc was pretty convinced it was COVID and I was down for like 10 days. Sickest I’ve been in a long time. I’ll gladly take a day of feeling a little under the weather

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I got the pfizer. It effects different people differently. Not having any side effects does not mean its not working for you.
My husband just felt a little tired after his second.
I felt like I had worked a double shift, had a low grade headache most of the day, chills
Feeling much better today. Just a little tired still but not bad otherwise

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trust me, I know! I had a mysterious sickness in April of last year. No testing was available for regular people then but my doc was pretty convinced it was COVID and I was down for like 10 days. Sickest I’ve been in a long time. I’ll gladly take a day of feeling a little under the weather
This is how I feel about it. Feeling a little under the weather for a day or two is a small price to pay.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Unloading the greenhouse went quickly, but tired me out. At least the trees seem to have done pretty well in there. I swear, 2 days in the gh, and I could tell some of my maples had extended even more than when they went in. Now to get the garage unloaded.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Serviceberry - Amelanchier, white flowers 24 hours after +27 F. And pink flowers Chaenomeles only a few hours after +25 F. With trees that are native, as in the Amelanchier, or introduced from similar cold climates, as in Chaenomeles, they all have coping mechanisms for dealing with late frosts. Neither showed any significant signs of damage.

The Chaenomeles most likely is Chaenomeles 'Minerva', but the provenance was lost, so there is no way to know for certain.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_114858960.jpg
    IMG_20210423_114858960.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210422_162637254.jpg
    IMG_20210422_162637254.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom