Frost Damaged on Shishigashira

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Unexpected but what do I do with leaves that were damaged from cold frost. I always thought let it naturally remove or should I remove all the dry leaves. The tree is 30 years old and its recovering pretty slow. Do I wait and see if it return or go ahead and cut the die back. Currently the tree are sprouting out new buds but seem the suffer is great. I might be over reacting any input would be appreciated.
20190305_063038.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
AFAIK, all acer palmatum cultivars will produce at least two flushes of foliage. I am reasonably certain that shishigashira is no exception.

However, please take at least one closer image of the damaged leaves and branch tips. I don't think anyone can possibly give you good advice without it.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Osoyoung,

Thanks for the response. Here are the requested photos. I looked online but couldnt find any video or article so though I try this forum. 20190321_063545.jpg

Attachments

• 20190321_063713.jpg
    20190321_063713.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190321_063612.jpg
    20190321_063612.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 58

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Leave it alone for now. You can always remove damaged leaves after it's pushed a bit more.

Dav4,

I know it's kinda early and spring is just here. Just seeing this Shishigashira losing all the leaves after a recent purchase is so difficult when I see it. I'm one year in this hobby so I'm learning to be patience. Its can be difficult sometime when a random freeze just happened randomly during the day when leaves were about to sprout. So for now just leave "As is" until May maybe. So you recommend to avoid any pruning of the die back. This won't cause it to get worse to the remaining part of the branches right. Also to clarify the dark color on branches is just freeze burn and hopefully it will recover in the next few months. Any input is appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I second Dav4 suggestion as there isn't much anyone can do at this point. Let it run its course. I am sure it will leaf out again when it is ready... I would watch the water since there isn't any leaf to transpire the water at this point.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4,

I know it's kinda early and spring is just here. Just seeing this Shishigashira losing all the leaves after a recent purchase is so difficult when I see it. I'm one year in this hobby so I'm learning to be patience. Its can be difficult sometime when a random freeze just happened randomly during the day when leaves were about to sprout. So for now just leave "As is" until May maybe. So you recommend to avoid any pruning of the die back. This won't cause it to get worse to the remaining part of the branches right. Also to clarify the dark color on branches is just freeze burn and hopefully it will recover in the next few months. Any input is appreciated.
Again, if this is cold damage, the damage is done and won't progress. Fwiw, your pictures are confusing. In the first pic, I see a tree w/ lots of rather healthy looking foliage from a distance... in the next two pics, I see a tree with no foliage. Were the last 2 pics taken after the frost/freeze? Did you go ahead and remove foliage?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should probably remove all that fertilizer you added too.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should probably remove all that fertilizer you added too.
Why? Tree is trying to grow and the soil biome is active. Org food is fine right now.
I'd recommend leaving it be and let it recover as @Dav4 recommended. Cutting and pinching is just additional damage that it will need to recover from. And get 10 more so you don't love this one to death lol.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Again, if this is cold damage, the damage is done and won't progress. Fwiw, your pictures are confusing. In the first pic, I see a tree w/ lots of rather healthy looking foliage from a distance... in the next two pics, I see a tree with no foliage. Were the last 2 pics taken after the frost/freeze? Did you go ahead and remove foliage?

The first pictures was before the frost. The second was the set of pictures with the close ups of the foliage after the tree were cut but the petiole was left behind like it was defoliated. The tree was in healthy condition at the nursery before this happened. I hope this clear up the confusion. I will do what y'all are recommend. Will provide updates when I see it. Wish me luck.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The first pictures was before the frost. The second was the set of pictures with the close ups of the foliage after the tree were cut but the petiole was left behind like it was defoliated. The tree was in healthy condition at the nursery before this happened. I hope this clear up the confusion. I will do what y'all are recommend. Will provide updates when I see it. Wish me luck.
Nothing to do but wait at this point. I would probably remove most of the ferts until the tree begins to push new growth which will hopefully be in a few weeks.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leave the leaves on. The next set of buds are in the axils which you do not want to damage. When they are mature and ready to leaf-out, they will kick off the dried leaves. There is nothing to be gained by removing the dead leaves.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is you location? It only takes a little while below freezing for damage to occur that is why I pull everything into the garage when temps even near freezing are expected. Depending on how long the tree was exposed to freezing temps and the sensitivity of the cultivar it likely will bud out again. I see it with my landscape J. maples every few years here. However a few years ago a really bad late freeze hit and killed almost all the smaller J. maples in my area. They had already leafed out and apparently lost all their dormancy protection and even the cambium was killed. A few stump sprouts was all that came back.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
What is you location? It only takes a little while below freezing for damage to occur that is why I pull everything into the garage when temps even near freezing are expected. Depending on how long the tree was exposed to freezing temps and the sensitivity of the cultivar it likely will bud out again. I see it with my landscape J. maples every few years here. However a few years ago a really bad late freeze hit and killed almost all the smaller J. maples in my area. They had already leafed out and apparently lost all their dormancy protection and even the cambium was killed. A few stump sprouts was all that came back.

I live in Mississippi so the frost doesn't happen very much here. The temperature was around 40 degrees Celsius so that way above the freezing point. I think its must be the wind that day either way the damage is done. Both of my Shishigashira took damage, its funny how the other one came back already but this one is delayed. The tree is 30 years old so that could be why. It's a lesson learned.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. This forum is very helpful. It's a continuous learning hobby. I will post updates when the maple sprouts again. Some new buds are happening so it will take more time.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thought I share, my Shishigashira is having great growth. In sure some of the frost damaged is done. I'm just gonna wait until winter before I prune all the damages. I hope it's not too severe.

Attachments

• 20190506_085928.jpg
    20190506_085928.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom