Frost-free, heat-resistant pots

DryBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in zone 9B where temps can go 120F during summer and 30F during winter. I came across KK Keramik Bonsai Pot Square marketed as frost-free and heat-resistant. Are these good pots or just marketing hype? Thanks.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With those high temps you’d be better off focusing on a shade structure than worrying about the details of pottery. It would be so hot for your trees that — even if they had “good” pots — they’d be putting almost all respiration efforts into staying cool rather than growing. At those temps you’d possibly want 50 percent shade cloth.

Even simple terracotta pots are generally compatible with those temps — the high and low. They aren’t fantastic, but their porosity helps to cool off with water evaporation.

I’m not specifically vouching for terracotta so much as trying to steer you to the bigger, more severe limitation in your climate.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any properly fired stoneware pot would be fine from sub zero to several hundred degrees.
As poster above suggests, you have more problems with your plants in that climate than with your pots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hype at Best.
Likely straight BS!

Sorce

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You could try a white pot or cover it with white to reflect sun rays.

Top Bottom