Frost & Freeze Outlook Map

hozookie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With the warming weather, we're probably all anxious to take our trees outside, even the less hardy ones.

My trees (mostly/recently repotted) are all out in a portable greenhouse as the night lows are predicted to be above freezing. Unfortunately one night, it dipped to 26F (local measurement) when the forecast low was 33F so the soil was pretty frozen the next morning. I'll be putting the heater back in on cold nights and will checking the map below regularly until it's warmer.

Frost & Freeze Outlook Map

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanking you:

Thanks for the link share. I used to use wunderground but it has become so "out there" it takes ten minutes just to get a forecast screen.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey thanks, I posted in another thread about recently learning that forecast and measured temps aren't ground level, but at least 4 ft. above ground. After the purchase of a decent thermometer with memory I learned that a forecast low of 3-4 above freezing was delivering below freezing near the ground by some of my trees. Maybe now I know why '40' degrees is mentioned frequently on labels, missed forecast + cooler temp on ground + lawyers writing label = 40. Recently moved to cooler lands so I could be way off...

Top Bottom