Frozen Trees

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Maybe I shouldn't be freaked out....but I kinda am.....at least for some of my trees.

This year I have my trees in my garage, with 2 windows cracked open (might close them soon) except for a few that are outside.

The temp has been 40f or colder and I haven't been worried.
This is the first winter I've spent not worrying about my trees breaking dormancy....and its kinda nice.

However, I'm now concerned for my Azaleas in particular, but also my BC.
Hornbeams should be ok I think....
All of my trees' roots are solidly frozen.
Its been 20f and colder in there for the last week or 2.
Its warming up today.

I've never had solid blocks of roots like this before ??

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BC s are fine to freeze, mine was outside frozen in a tub of water more than one harsh winter for months. Horn beams will do fine, the azaleas May depend on type. I just noticed when I type in ? azalea I get a flower ? icon. Got a ? ? water icon too. Let’s try ? ? tree! Yay for new icons! Wonder what else there is.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My bc is also Frozen sollid no worries
But it does not get that cold here tough...
Azalea i have none so dont know

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my non-tropicals are frozen solid and have been since early November, including some unknown variety of Azalea Simsii.
They will stay frozen until March or April, maybe even early May, who knows.

It's my understanding Azaleas need good air circulation also in winter to avoid pest/bug issues.
So if you decide to close your garage windows, you might wanna get a fan in there to keep some circulation up.
At least that's the information I've been given by more experienced people than myself.

Fingers & toes crossed that yours (and mine) will be fine come spring :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
BC s are fine to freeze, mine was outside frozen in a tub of water more than one harsh winter for months. Horn beams will do fine, the azaleas May depend on type. I just noticed when I type in ? azalea I get a flower ? icon. Got a ? ? water icon too. Let’s try ? ? tree! Yay for new icons! Wonder what else there is.
All my non-tropicals are frozen solid and have been since early November, including some unknown variety of Azalea Simsii.
They will stay frozen until March or April, maybe even early May, who knows.

It's my understanding Azaleas need good air circulation also in winter to avoid pest/bug issues.
So if you decide to close your garage windows, you might wanna get a fan in there to keep some circulation up.
At least that's the information I've been given by more experienced people than myself.

Fingers & toes crossed that yours (and mine) will be fine come spring :)
My bc is also Frozen sollid no worries
But it does not get that cold here tough...
Azalea i have none so dont know
Thanks y'all!
I'll keep you posted.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine Negative 24'd like this.
20190202_094638.jpg

Note the Ribes on the front MP.
20190202_094612.jpg

It made it shed old leaves, but them lil ones still growin.
20190204_073710.jpg
20190204_073654.jpg

No fucking worries yeah?

Sorce

P.S. 50 degrees this morning. No more snow. Back to freeze next week!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've frozen a few Satsuki roots, storing them in middle twenties, no problem. Did kill a "florist's azalea" with the same treatment. So some azalea are cold hardy, some are not. The northern lights deciduous azalea are hardy to -25 F or more below zero.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC CAN be OK in freezing weather. Depends WHEN that freezing weather is...I lost a very good BC last winter to a late freeze in March after a warmish Feb. Once you start to see buds swelling a lot on the top and you have stiff winter freezes coming in, get the tree inside.

I would NOT feel god about leaving a BC to freeze in a tub of water over the winter. Aside from a chance of the ice girdling the trunk, I'd worry about freeze thaw physically destroying the roots...

I have a Shiro Ebisu satsuki that seems to have weathered 3 degrees under mulch with no immediate issues. There are varieties of satsuki that are cold hardier than others...

Fingers crossed--also crossed in hopes of not having the 70 F temps stick around for very long. Same situation that killed my BC last year and severely weakened my oldest BC...

Top Bottom