Fruiting fig cuttings. When?

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all.
I live in SOCAL. when can I take cuttings from fruiting fig trees? I know I can bare root up to a 2" caliper, but when, is the question.

Txs

Chris

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Chris, if you have access to the trees, air layering a fig is as easy as it gets. In less than two months you'll have a tree, not a little cutting with a few roots. I've done cuttings about this time of the year by wrapping the cuttings in wet paper towels and keeping them in a dark, damp location , like a big plastic tote with the lid cracked open.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Normally before.......late winter here. I've done them in spring too. Mild climates seem to allow a lot of flexibility in propagation and collection timing. I've yanked cypress and elm seedlings out of the ground in early summer and have them take off, hardly missing a beat.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So. I can take cuttings, wrap in paper towels. What's the largest diameter I can do this with? What if I use root toner?

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
ficus are awesome trees to work with - almost bullet proof.
you can take cuttings from toothpick size to the thickness of your forearm...
like your username by the way:)

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve lived in both the outskirts of JB and Groenkloof. Might have spelled that incorrectly. Mother was from Pretoria. My Oom Fani is big into bonsai there in centurion, Stefanus Dewaal.

Top Bottom