Fuchsia Raft

Daniel_UK

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grew some Fuchsia Arborescens (Tree Fuchsia) from seed last year and was surprised by how quickly they have grown. I have plans for all of them except for the one in the picture. This one is now 4 feet long and keeps dropping lower, which I don't have a problem with as I was thinking of eventually making it into a raft design. The mature leaves at the end are large but the new growth has lots of smaller leaves more appropriate for bonsai. The lower growth has all appeared in the last month and is vigorous. I was thinking of 1. Letting it grow a bit more so that it naturally lowers itself further. 2. Then cutting where it now divides into two and allowing the new growth to thicken it up 3. Prune all growth except for three upward stems, which will then form the trunks coming from the raft.

It is worth saying that the flowers are very different to most Fuchsia species and are a lot smaller, and that it is difficult to wire Fuchsia as they tend to snap easily.

My 2 questions are:

1. Would another style suit this material more?

2. Would you approach creating a raft from this material in a different way to what I described above?
20210410_145608.jpg 20210410_145626.jpg

Thank you

Top Bottom