Fuiken Tee troubles... too much or too little water?

Reaction score
Created this literati-style Fuiken Tree bonsai during a workshop last year, it was doing well and grew like crazy this summer. Trimmed it back to re-establish shape, and relocated it to a shadier out of the wind location along with my other bonsai. The older leaves are yellowing and dropping off, not new ones. We've had a ton of rain in SW Florida, could it be over-watered? I do monitor, don't think its under watered. I brought it inside till I figure out the problem.

0.jpg

essdoesbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
This is an Elm not a Fukien Tea

Knowing this should help you do the right research to care for it?

I would keep it outside though to avoid anymore unnecessary stress.

Last edited:
Reaction score
omg, you're right! Its been a while since I looked back at my notes. My Fuiken Tea is doing very well. I'm still pretty new to this, guess I just got my names mixed up. I can place it back outdoors, I'm just concerned, since I'm not sure why so many leaves are dropping.

essdoesbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
omg, you're right! Its been a while since I looked back at my notes. My Fuiken Tea is doing very well. I'm still pretty new to this, guess I just got my names mixed up. I can place it back outdoors, I'm just concerned, since I'm not sure why so many leaves are dropping.
Elms are deciduous, so leaf drop should occur? If you believe you've done all the right things you should be okay. If you're worried about too much rain, you could put it in a more sheltered spot or put some slabs of stones over the top, on a slant with the stone hanging over the pot to make it run off onto the ground. You can do this during heavy rain and then remove.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It won't be too much water.

Having less leaves to transpire, less sun, and less wind, makes it seem like too much water.

Maybe leave it there to experience "winter" lol, then put it back in the sun.

Good thing it's not, @pats_bonsai dry!

Sorce

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Those are some good suggestions to cut down on rain. We're just wrapping up the rainy season here, but it'll be back next spring/summer. I will monitor the water on the Elm and put it back outside, hope I didn't kill it by accident.

Top Bottom