Fuji Cherry Early Winter Bud Break

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello! I brought my pretty young Fuji Cherry tree inside to guard it from heavy frost, I checked up on it at and buds have started breaking all over.
Any ideas on what to do?
Should I forget about it blossoming in spring?

Attachments

• 20211215_183949.jpg
    20211215_183949.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 25

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are leaves coming out of mine already
Ohw shoop. Sorry, missed that. Hm.. With the forcast for christmas, I would look into protection. Do you have a frost-free shed? Indoors it will have trouble too, if we get a long period of frost. A few degrees above 0 would be optimal..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello! I brought my pretty young Fuji Cherry tree inside to guard it from heavy frost, I checked up on it at and buds have started breaking all over.
Any ideas on what to do?
Should I forget about it blossoming in spring?
You are going to have to keep this tree indoors for the duration of the winter and back outside once the frost and freezes are past. THe tree has emerging leaves, which means it has virtually no ability to withstand freezing. If the buds were still intact and only swelling, you could put it back outside.

Bringing it inside to "guard it from heavy frost" is exactly the wrong thing to do. It should be exposed to one or two heavy frosts to "harden it off" for coming winter and left outside under mulch until spring. Coddling trees is a path to difficulties...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You are going to have to keep this tree indoors for the duration of the winter and back outside once the frost and freezes are past. THe tree has emerging leaves, which means it has virtually no ability to withstand freezing. If the buds were still intact and only swelling, you could put it back outside.

Bringing it inside to "guard it from heavy frost" is exactly the wrong thing to do. It should be exposed to one or two heavy frosts to "harden it off" for coming winter and left outside under mulch until spring. Coddling trees is a path to difficulties...
yeah, I left all my other trees outside but was somehow worried about this one. I hope it'll be fine

Top Bottom