Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got this fuji chery past saturday

Gave it a first styling

Its far from its final design but didnt want to remove more than i did just now

Left on flower buds on each remaining branch to enjoy

Fully wired the tree started as practice ended up doing the whole tree lol and i figured i need allot more practice because it isnt that nicely done but it is functional tough

Also repotted it into a pot i had laying around and will let it grow for mosth of the season with only some pruning to keep it this shape and get it healthy to cut it back hard next year

i think the bush it was looks like a natural tree now actualy hard to see from the photos when i look at it now so will post a video later on

kojou1.jpg kojou2.jpg kojou3.jpg kojou4.jpg kojou6.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL you scared me! I looked at the first two photos and thought one was the "before" photo and one was the "after" photo and I was trying to tell the difference :)

I really like the 3rd photo, but the 4th not as much. Because this is a twin trunk design you really want to make sure that you have those two trunk lines complimenting each other. The angle of the 3rd photo shows this really well, while the 4th photo looks like two "V"s next to each other.

Regardless, I think this tree is going to look really cool!

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I really like this! Always find it so mind boggling to look at the starting jungle of branches and then see how it's reduced down to something that looks more natural and balanced, kudos!
Love these Fuji cherrys, tempted to go and grab myself another one to play with I've got 3 in the garden already but always space for another bonsai!

Mine have just started blooming. Crappy phone camera.
IMG_20170307_161234700.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like this! Always find it so mind boggling to look at the starting jungle of branches and then see how it's reduced down to something that looks more natural and balanced, kudos!
Love these Fuji cherrys, tempted to go and grab myself another one to play with I've got 3 in the garden already but always space for another bonsai!

Mine have just started blooming. Crappy phone camera.
View attachment 135336
Man, I can't find a single one here.:( you lucky ducks!

Aaron

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regardless, I think this tree is going to look really cool!

Thnx bonsainut!
i do feel the same about the pictures i will post a video when back from work later today

next year at least one of the v's has to go i think and maybe it will pop some buds below the v's i can use by then at least i hope it does :)

next year is going to be two step backwards to get forward again lol

@Cattwooduk i know what ya mean !
This is how i worked trough this one and i try to do with all my first stylings
(im still a newbie tough)

Think of what style to aim for and determine roughly what height you want the tree to be eventualy
draw an imaginary line at that point and prune off everything above it

Then I always start with shortening branches removing everything to the first or seccond forks and inward growing branches have to go too as well

After thats done its cleaned up nicely mosth of the time and clear to see whats left to work with then the harder part starts to go trough it again to decide what branches to keep like when two are at the same height or if a branch more up top is thicker than the lower branches then i find the choices more dificult too also try to imagine how you could use a branch if it would be wired sometimes a wire makes a branch a keeper
As finale trim the branches again longest below getting shorter to the top to make sure it is balanced since top mosthly grows more vigorous and that top wont block the light of the lower placed branches
Hope this helps you out a bit !

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
These trees are really beautiful and cheap, at least here in Germany (Euro 20)! Protect the leaves from sun burns in the hottest months.

PS "Cherry"

You can pick them up for about £9 here, usually around a foot in height and spread but sometimes a little bigger.

I've never experienced any problems with burning in the sun, one of mine is in direct sun from 9am to 5pm in mid summer and it's fine. But then we're talking about British summer...

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
You can pick them up for about £9 here, usually around a foot in height and spread but sometimes a little bigger.

I've never experienced any problems with burning in the sun, one of mine is in direct sun from 9am to 5pm in mid summer and it's fine. But then we're talking about British summer...
Summer in Southern Germany can be really hot. The cause might have been different so I'm not completely sure it was the sun...
Here's what I got last year.
View media item 3006

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As promised a video from the tree

You clearly know what you're doing - that tree is well on its way.

From the video I think you may have a challenge picking the front of your design. Both trunks lean towards what I would currently think of as the back ( :20), and your apex is styled over the back as well. What makes it the back (for me) is that branch that I will call the primary back branch that projects from the lower trunk directly towards the viewer at :20. So you will either want to style both trunks forward towards the front, and bend your apex forward as well, or use the :20 side as your front, which will entail losing that lower branch, and developing a new back branch on the back of the tree.

Hope I am making sense :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thankyou !
It makes sense and that will be the back i think so too
my tought was 0:27 as front
But first this year and then ill see next fall how to proceed :)

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Man, I can't find a single one here.:( you lucky ducks!

Aaron
Aaron,
I'm sure you're aware that this is the same as the variety offered as 'Little Twist'......which is apparently an American renaming of a Japanese selection.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was done blooming so i pruned it back hard and removed one of the forks on the smaler trunk

Why ?
If it grew it would have grown out of silouet instantly so i had to go some steps backwards if i want to go forward with this tree
it will probably pop new buds all over so maybe some branches will be replaced as well in the future... for now i will let it grow and prune it back again later this season to get more ramification at the end of season :)

rps20170411_215843.jpg

Get beter pics and video up tomorow
This will be the front i think :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree didnt do to well
Lots of wired branches died but im happy its alive tough
Gotta think how to proceed with this one

20170907_195955.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta think how to proceed with this one

I'd say...exactly the same...
Cept fer more gentle wiring!

Remember....

Dead branches aren't a failure, just a change in direction!

I'm not against leving that bigger left side as a sacrifice for the right side....

A Pracsac!

Practice sacrifice!

Figure hell beating wiring there while keeping the right trimmed nice as your Future cherry.

Sorce

Top Bottom