Fuji sand/grit

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey all,

Just thought I'd share and ask if anyone is using Fuji sand in their soil mixes?
While plenty of places sell it I can't seem to find much other info about it other than the brief descriptions on the pages that are selling it with all sorts of different uses from part of a soil mix, decorative function to being a top dressing to protect your soil during monsoon season.

Anyway I have had a tub of it for a while now and and with repotting season coming up I wonder how others use use this as part of their mix. It's very lightweight, certainly closer to pumice in weight than lava/scoria but seems to be much more harder to crush, more like lava than pumice. It's almost as if it sits in between the two and it has similarities to the DE I get too.
It holds onto water well enough but no idea if it holds more or less than other substrates, would you substitute it for lava or pumice, akadama even?
Aesthetically it is pretty cool as well.

Either way it is relatively cheap all things considered so I'm thinking of ordering a more uniformed size bag of the stuff and trying it out with my kitty mix.

IMG_9764bj.jpgIMG_9766hm.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I have some which I sometimes use in the same way as lava, but mainly for top dressing accent plantings etc.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks more water retentive than lava rock.
You could test it, and compare it with acadama.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Never heard of it, but I like the color. Is it lighter like pumice or more heavy like lava?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have some which I sometimes use in the same way as lava, but mainly for top dressing accent plantings etc.

Cheers for that, it would make a nice top dressing for sure. I have also seen it used as a gravel bed for suiseki and it looks real nice.

It looks more water retentive than lava rock.
You could test it, and compare it with acadama.

Yeah I would say it probably is more retentive.
Actually I would like to test that out, the only way I can think of though would be by weighing the soils out evenly and soaking them and then weighing them again every hour or so until they get back to the starting weight.
Problem is I only have kitchen scales that are not overly sensitive. But definitely would like to compare everything from akadama, pumice, lave and kitty DE.

Top Bottom