Fuken Tea advice

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I picked up my first box store tree today. I think it's a fuken tea or at least that's what my phone app said. Should I leave it in the original pot or put it in something else and what soil should I use?

Attachments

• 20210226_174210.jpg
    20210226_174210.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 70

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yep, Fukien Tea. It's in one of those water wicking pots that is really deep and looks like really organic soil. Be careful with the watering. Other than that, wait for better advice. I have killed several and have sworn off them.

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought a couple of 4" pots for this. This will actually be my first time doing a repot. Should I remove most of the soil that it came with and add a bonsai soil? I was thinking of going with the oval pot but I'd like other opinions.

Attachments

• 20210305_174220.jpg
    20210305_174220.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 55

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The oval seems like it is slightly better size wise for your tree.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't exactly tropical, but is now the time to repot a Fukien Tea?

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have no idea if this is the right time. I guess in impatient. I'm just itching to get started with something😁.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've always been told tropicals respond best to repots when they're in active growth, so summer here. I don't know if it applies to FT or not though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I only have one, bought the same water wicking pot thing from Lowes, it kept the soil too wet IMO. Not sure when I repotted but it hasn't done much in 2 years since I put it first in too small of a pot and now too big of a pot, finicky lil tree. What do you want to do with the tree? Do you want it to be a small tree not much bigger than what it is now? If so, I'd repot in a month or two when the temps warm up and its actively growing. If you want it to grow and add 6-8 inches then it needs to go into a bigger pot. Take the wick out for sure and water when it dries up at least a little.

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I only have one, bought the same water wicking pot thing from Lowes, it kept the soil too wet IMO. Not sure when I repotted but it hasn't done much in 2 years since I put it first in too small of a pot and now too big of a pot, finicky lil tree. What do you want to do with the tree? Do you want it to be a small tree not much bigger than what it is now? If so, I'd repot in a month or two when the temps warm up and its actively growing. If you want it to grow and add 6-8 inches then it needs to go into a bigger pot. Take the wick out for sure and water when it dries up at least a little.
I definitely want it to get bigger so I'll just put it in a bigger pot for now and maybe I'll pick up another from Lowe's to put it the small pot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not really the optimum time. But I have killed several so take that with a grain of salt.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since they drop leaves and freak soon after getting them anyway....

I feel like doing the Repot straight away is a good idea.

Let it do it's whole BS phoenix thing in it's new pot with less roots.

Sorce

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I decided to put it in a bigger pot for now. I removed most of the original soil and added a pre-mixed bonsai soil. The original soil was definitely way too wet! This is really my first time (in many years) putting a plant in a bonsai pot. I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not but I added some moss also😁

Attachments

• 20210314_174614.jpg
    20210314_174614.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 33

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repot mine in the middle of the summer and have bare rooted them a few times. Just making sure I keep the roots good and damp. I have never had a problem with them. I just bought another Fukien Tea about 3 weeks ago at Wally World. Not going to do anything with it until mid summer. Just gonna let grow for a bit. The tree looks nice in the pot, hope you have good luck with it.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i hope it works out for you. i find these to be one of the most gimmicky trees sold as bonsai. very tough to keep alive from what ive gathered

Top Bottom