Fukien Grafting

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi again. I'd like to take the next step in my knowledge and try adding a branch to my Carmona via grafting, at lease once its in full health...

This is very much a 'training' tree for me to learn on, but has anyone grafted fukiens and is there a prefered method? As I want the branch to be more or less central to the trunk and coming out at 90degrees, I was thinking of thread grafting a doner branch from a seperate tree (rather then bending an existing shoot of the same tree through), and supporting this second plant alongside while graft sets? I was thinking this may be preferable to scion or approach grafting which would be more on a lateral line to the trunk/branch that its bring grafted onto (meaning thw new branch would need to be bent down to the 90degrees once set?)? However, that said, any propogation which requires humidity, such as air layering, is very popular here in the tropics, for obvious reasons..

Anyones experience with fukiens in particular would be welcome!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon you'll find more information about grafting dead ones to the inside of garbage cans!

They're kinda knobby ain't it?
So you probably can't thread Graft.

Sorce

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm comfortable with the method of thread grafting, however the online references are only talking about using a young elongated branch from the same tree for the thread. Does anyone have experience of using the branch of a seperate tree instead?

Top Bottom