Fukien Tea clipping rooting tips?

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Im going to be cutting a branch off of my fukien here soon and i wanted to try and root it and make it an up right tree. i have rooting powder but is there any one method that works best for rooting fukien tea clippings? the one i wana clip is the long bottom one

100_4442.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Im going to be cutting a branch off of my fukien here soon and i wanted to try and root it and make it an up right tree. i have rooting powder but is there any one method that works best for rooting fukien tea clippings? the one i wana clip is the long bottom one

View attachment 30393

You could always air-layer it rather than just trying to get it to root as a cutting.

That's a pretty small branch. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give it a shot, but just keep in mind the Fukiens grow slowly. It will be quite a while before you have much of a tree.

Good luck, and have fun!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could always air-layer it rather than just trying to get it to root as a cutting.

That's a pretty small branch. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give it a shot, but just keep in mind the Fukiens grow slowly. It will be quite a while before you have much of a tree.

I agree on both counts...besides they are cheap at Wally world. :D

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score

ok ill try air-layering it. can the rooting powder i have be used for that?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok ill try air-layering it. can the rooting powder i have be used for that?

yes, after you cut off a ring of the bark, apply the powder.

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
ok then now could i soak my moss in solution of powder and water and use that or just apply dry powder

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
100_4446.jpg

ok i did a small air lyre bout half an inch above where im going to cut it. i weted some moss in a mix of water and the rooting powder and raped it in foil

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
ohhh ok i didnt even notice i had the typo lol

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see you got it taken care of. I would have tried air layering the top off right above that branch and used that bottom branch as the new leader. You'd have a lot of options to build new branch structure once it started budding out.

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
ya im trying to get a canopy to form. oh dose any one know how long it might take for the roots to form on my air lyre?

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If 88 is still around, did your air layer work? I'm thinking of dividing my Fukien, but only if the chances of survival are high...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice propagation man, more material more options.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh yeah, guess his house got overrun by elms and can't access his computer anymore.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh....it's a Lincoln.

Sorce

Top Bottom