FUKIEN TEA DYING

Lgr

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I am new to bonsai trees and this is my first. I have had it for a couple months but the leaves slowly all fell of and dried out. I don’t know what I have done wrong and if there is anyway to save my tree. The pictures below are how it looked like when I first got it and now. You can see that now there is a small green sprout in the moss but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the tree. I have seen those sprouts since I first got the tree. Someone please help me I don’t know if my tree is already dead or if it has a chance to live longer.

Attachments

• 2D9E9D41-BE1A-4A73-83AE-F7C6E998BD6E.jpeg
    2D9E9D41-BE1A-4A73-83AE-F7C6E998BD6E.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 73
  • BAB250C0-6FB8-4895-AB18-B864DB21A6AA.jpeg
    BAB250C0-6FB8-4895-AB18-B864DB21A6AA.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 75

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hard to tell from those pics, but if your moss dried out, it is likely you were not watering your tree enough. How often did you water it?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a Fukien Tea is a terrible first tree, because they so often fail for no good reason and make people give up hope on the hobby. Add your location to your profile so people know where you are and can suggest better trees for your climate, that you can have success with.

Lgr

Seedling
Reaction score
Hard to tell from those pics, but if your moss dried out, it is likely you were not watering your tree enough. How often did you water it?
I would water it 2 a week which now that I google it might have been to little. The moss is not green anymore i am trying to water it slightly more often with Luke warm water.

Lgr

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a Fukien Tea is a terrible first tree, because they so often fail for no good reason and make people give up hope on the hobby. Add your location to your profile so people know where you are and can suggest better trees for your climate, that you can have success with.
Yes I found out how bad of a first tree it is today. I did not choose it directly the store sellar suggested it was to me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Try something for outdoors! Elm!

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would water it 2 a week which now that I google it might have been to little. The moss is not green anymore i am trying to water it slightly more often with Luke warm water.
Don't use lukewarm or hot water to water a tree. Get a ficus if you want an inside tree. An elm or a juniper if you want to start with an outdoor tree. Good luck!

Lgr

Seedling
Reaction score
Don't use lukewarm or hot water to water a tree. Get a ficus if you want an inside tree. An elm or a juniper if you want to start with an outdoor tree. Good luck!
Thank you!! If I do eventually get another bonsai I would love to have an indoor one. Is a ficus easier to take care of?

Lgr

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I am new to bonsai trees and this is my first. I have had it for a couple months but the leaves slowly all fell of and dried out. I don’t know what I have done wrong and if there is anyway to save my tree. The pictures below are how it looked like when I first got it and now. You can see that now there is a small green sprout in the moss but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the tree. I have seen those sprouts since I first got the tree. Someone please help me I don’t know if my tree is already dead or if it has a chance to live longer.
I would also like to add that I did the fingernail test and under it was not green so I’m pretty sure that means my tree is dead. I don’t think there is anyway to help it at this point.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
If you've seen any of the threads I've started over the past 3 years, you'll see that I can totally relate to your situation. I think mine is nearly gone as well. It's frustrating cause I babied this along as best I could but...it was a first bonsai and so I had no experience to fall back on. Sorry that you lost yours. For that matter, sorry that I apparently lost mine as well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you've seen any of the threads I've started over the past 3 years, you'll see that I can totally relate to your situation. I think mine is nearly gone as well. It's frustrating cause I babied this along as best I could but...it was a first bonsai and so I had no experience to fall back on. Sorry that you lost yours. For that matter, sorry that I apparently lost mine as well.
Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure many here have lost a Fukien Tea, I have. They are just very finicky, that doesn't mean you are a failure for having lost one, just one of many who have. Don't let that discourage you from getting more "user friendly" trees and continuing to enjoy the hobby.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you!! If I do eventually get another bonsai I would love to have an indoor one. Is a ficus easier to take care of?
Yes, get something that gives you a better chance at success. Ficus still enjoy their time outside during the spring and summer though.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
*slowly crosses off Fukien Tea tree off the wish list*
*writes in Snow Rose on the wish list*
*searches "snow rose" in forum search bar*
*slowly crosses off Snow Rose off the wish list*

*waters the ficus and turns off the light before bed*

Top Bottom