Fukien Tea healthy, growing, but flower buds dying before opening?

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
I didn't see any results that matched in the search so I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my Fukien tea's flower buds would be dying before they even opened? The tree seems healthy, the leaves all look great, it's been growing new branches and leaves and producing new buds consistently for awhile, but there haven't been any open flowers for maybe six months now. The buds turn brown and die in what seems like the normal amount of time they're around for just without the actual flower part. I check for pests and every now and then I'll see a few aphids on a branch but I've been keeping them under control and there are never that many at all. I fertilize regularly, I checked the roots and it isn't rootbound and there's no root rot or anything. I have a rock on top of the soil and when I lift it up I do see a couple of these tiny thin silver things moving around but not many. I'm not sure what they are but could they be causing any problems? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From my experience this happens if it's too cold - usually I only get flowers to bloom consistently when it's 60-70F+. Also depends on the fertilizer you use. I use something with a higher phosphorous concentration to promote flowers

Scriabin

Seed
Reaction score
I didn't see any results that matched in the search so I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my Fukien tea's flower buds would be dying before they even opened? The tree seems healthy, the leaves all look great, it's been growing new branches and leaves and producing new buds consistently for awhile, but there haven't been any open flowers for maybe six months now. The buds turn brown and die in what seems like the normal amount of time they're around for just without the actual flower part. I check for pests and every now and then I'll see a few aphids on a branch but I've been keeping them under control and there are never that many at all. I fertilize regularly, I checked the roots and it isn't rootbound and there's no root rot or anything. I have a rock on top of the soil and when I lift it up I do see a couple of these tiny thin silver things moving around but not many. I'm not sure what they are but could they be causing any problems? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
I have exactly the same problem! I'm attaching some pics of my new friend. I
rescued it from Lowe's one week ago and I changed its soil and did some heavy pruning. Leaves are healthy, plenty of new growth, but flowers won't bud. It's interesting because it had flowers when I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_181108.jpg
    IMG_20220506_181108.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220506_165305.jpg
    IMG_20220506_165305.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 46

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have exactly the same problem! I'm attaching some pics of my new friend. I
rescued it from Lowe's one week ago and I changed its soil and did some heavy pruning. Leaves are healthy, plenty of new growth, but flowers won't bud. It's interesting because it had flowers when I got it.
Looking good. Yea I have had similar experiences when moving the tree to a new environment too

jen1234

Seed
Reaction score
I rescued a bonsai fukien tea tree from Lowes. It was so dry when i got it. I did not repot, watered every week. As i see one or two flies in the plant stand i applied neem oil twice may be. It is indoors on a windows side. It looks healthy now. There are a few buds. But it is getting dried out and not blooming. I would like to see the flower. Can you share some tips.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been developing one for about 5 years now. This is not a question to you inquiry, simply my opinion. The flower are messy and not showy at all. I wish mine did not flower. I prune it maybe 4 times a years, but constantly removed spent flowers.

jen1234

Seed
Reaction score
I have been developing one for about 5 years now. This is not a question to you inquiry, simply my opinion. The flower are messy and not showy at all. I wish mine did not flower. I prune it maybe 4 times a years, but constantly removed spent flowers.
Can you share a picture. Also can you explain how to prune

jen1234

Seed
Reaction score
I rescued a bonsai fukien tea tree from Lowes. It was so dry when i got it. I did not repot, watered every week. As i see one or two flies in the plant stand i applied neem oil twice may be. It is indoors on a windows side. It looks healthy now. There are a few buds. But it is getting dried out and not blooming. I would like to see the flower. Can you share some tips.
This is my bonsai

Attachments

• IMG20240216105056.jpg
    IMG20240216105056.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 16

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have my Fukien tea tree in a south facing window. We've had a very cloudy December and January here and mine kept doing the same. The last couple weeks we've had a lot more sun and sure enough the flowers started opening.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share a picture. Also can you explain how to prune
Here is the plant including the worthless messy little flowers. Pruning is no mystery. Prune and wire to desired shape. Like many tropicals, it tends to send out long straight shoots which need fairly frequent pruning. This is 5 or 6 years old from a cutting. It may be in for a restyling. I am considering doing away with the upper cascading branch. This plant has never seen natural light. It is under a T5 fluorescent fixture..
IMG_8874.JPGIMG_8875.JPGIMG_8876.JPGIMG_8877.JPG

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the problem is light. The first winter with F-tea I had it in an east facing window with those purple plant lights as a supplement. It grew nicely and looked good but the flower buds never opened as you describe. The next winter it was in a big south facing window and it bloomed nicely. This winter it is in my basement setup, under a t-5 light fixture with some sun from the south basement window and again it's blooming.
You don't mention what kind of light your F-tea is getting, but that's where I'd look first.
I agree with @penumbra: the tiny show of the flowers isn't worth it for the mess they make.

Top Bottom