Fukien tea help - foliage

swazzyajk123

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all

I am new to bonsai and recently bought an 8 year old Fukien tea. I do have other trees but just am really attracted to the Fukien tea.

I live in the U.K. and have this tree indoors, keeping indoor temps around 21/22 degrees and at least 50% humidity in the room - I do also list the tree and use a humidity tray.

at first when I got the tree it did well. After a while it began to loose leaves, they went dry and dropped. I think this may have been either under or over watering. The potting mix was also very dense.

I have now reportted into an airy mix (bark, small bit of compost, sand, vermiculite, John innes no 2). I am also monitoring my watering with a. PH and moisture tool.
I also took the tree on and was a bit stupid with my fertiliser - I covered a very dense layer on the top (before repotting) which I think was keeping it too moist too. That has all been removed and I have not fertilised in a few weeks now.

ANYWAY , sorry TLDR, but my issue now is that some of my leaves have brown bits either on the sides or in the middle. Not all of the leaves have it, only a few. I am also now using a growing light as my window does not get too much light.

I wondered if anyone could assist if the browning is an issue on some of the leaves and what could be the issue? I attach a pic, a number of leaves eithrrr have it on the side or in the middle per the pic. I also think perhaps my leaves are on the lighter side as opposed to an dark green that I have seen in other Fukien teas? Also it is not flowering and not sure what I can do to assist with flowering, although the leaves are my primary concern at the mo.

Much appreciated so much for any help!
Alex

Attachments

• A910D3A0-2DBD-4865-918B-F9FACFBABD5F.jpeg
    A910D3A0-2DBD-4865-918B-F9FACFBABD5F.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 25

swazzyajk123

Seedling
Reaction score
The only other thing I forgot to mention is I think spraying is causing almost white dust to appear on the leaves as I have it on the pepper treee too and it just wipes away. I think this may be from the tap water. I am buying spring water now from the shop and using this to mist. Although this may not be the issue as the pepper tree has this and is fine. Nevertheless it does just come off so I think it may be calcium or some other mineral from the water

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You shouldn't need to mist it.

Lotta changes lotta possibilities, I'd just sit tight and see how it does in the new situation for a while.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. UK is too general for specific advice.

<<<<< It will show here.

swazzyajk123

Seedling
Reaction score
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. UK is too general for specific advice.

<<<<< It will show here.
Hi I have updated. Any advice ?

Top Bottom