Fukien Tea : Is this one a lost cause? Pics

rtisgood

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,
My first post and definitely a newbie.
I live in Washington, DC.

This fukien tea tree is looking a bit sad. A gift from about 5 months ago.
I water it every day. The soil is Akadama/Black Lava/ Pumice/Pine Bark : premixed. No root rot from what I can tell. Recently repotted.
Before repotting - Leaves turning black, starting from the tips, then falling off. Leaves seem to have some "shrinkage, or shriveling" as well.
Please, any advise is appreciated, this tree is very attractive, I'd like to make sure it is okay.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 35

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, first thing we need to address is that's not a Fukien Tea. Its a Serrisa, commonly called snow rose or tree of a thousand stars. The good thing is they both have similar growing requirements. Serrisa tend to pout and drop their leaves if their lighting levels change suddenly (moving from sun to shade) or if temps change drastically and when they get repotted.

The leaves do look a bit on the dry side, when you say you water it daily could you explain how you go about watering it? Proper watering should have water running out the bottom of the pot.

It looks as you have this indoors, while I dont personally encourage indoor growing as it can be harder than just letting the weather do most of your watering and light I understand some people dont have much of a choice in the matter. Serrisas will grow in semi shade but do best in a brightly light location. A grow light is usually reccomended for indoor growing, Ill defer to someone who is more skilled in that area as to "which" grow light you may need but if you don't already have something you may want to look into it.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi All,
My first post and definitely a newbie.
I live in Washington, DC.

This fukien tea tree is looking a bit sad. A gift from about 5 months ago.
I water it every day. The soil is Akadama/Black Lava/ Pumice/Pine Bark : premixed. No root rot from what I can tell. Recently repotted.
Before repotting - Leaves turning black, starting from the tips, then falling off. Leaves seem to have some "shrinkage, or shriveling" as well.
Please, any advise is appreciated, this tree is very attractive, I'd like to make sure it is okay.

Thank you for your time.
I am forced to grow indoors come winter here in canada. I use the 175 Watt LED grow light by feit electric. Its expensive, but Its full spectrum and all my tropicals are very content with 9 hours a day. Plus its LED so generates less heat and less money on your bill! I do know many that also let their tropicals go into a state of dormancy during winter, or give them less light like buying a cheaper grow light, then putting them out in the summer. But if I can let my plants grow all year round then I will.

rtisgood

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for your time and responses :)
And also for identifying the species more accurately.

Yes, it is indoors but I have a balcony. I live in a south facing apartment and get bright natural sunlight all day. Today is a gloomy day, so I have a grow light on, in the photos.

I water every day a watch the water drain out of the bottom. I have a drip tray that gets full from that dripping.

It seems like any new leaf growth is very small, then they shrivel and fall off, never growing larger like the leaves that were on it when I received it.

Could it be possible in a dormant state? (I'm not sure what that looks like)

Thanks again for any further advice.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for your time and responses :)
And also for identifying the species more accurately.

Yes, it is indoors but I have a balcony. I live in a south facing apartment and get bright natural sunlight all day. Today is a gloomy day, so I have a grow light on, in the photos.

I water every day a watch the water drain out of the bottom. I have a drip tray that gets full from that dripping.

It seems like any new leaf growth is very small, then they shrivel and fall off, never growing larger like the leaves that were on it when I received it.

Could it be possible in a dormant state? (I'm not sure what that looks like)

Thanks again for any further advice.
Maybe slightly Over watered? as trees lose leaves they will need even less water as well. And if your watering every day without fail, even on the gloomy days such as today the soil may be staying to wet for it. I usually wait until the soil dries out a little bit before watering, I am unfamiliar with this species though, but leaves turning black make me think water issue. Also if the tree is near a vent that's blowing hot air or temperature changes are sudden it can cause this

rtisgood

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe slightly Over watered? as trees lose leaves they will need even less water as well. And if your watering every day without fail, even on the gloomy days such as today the soil may be staying to wet for it. I usually wait until the soil dries out a little bit before watering, I am unfamiliar with this species though, but leaves turning black make me think water issue. Also if the tree is near a vent that's blowing hot air or temperature changes are sudden it can cause this

Thank you for this insight.
No temp fluctuations, the temperature stays pretty stable inside at about 74 degrees F.
The drip tray also needs refilling every day, but usually does refill itself after watering the tree.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The drip tray also needs refilling every day, but usually does refill itself after watering the tree.
Make sure the plant isn't sitting in water, they don't like wet feet.

rtisgood

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. No it doesn’t seem like it’s sitting in water. The drainage is quite good.
When I repotted, I did not notice an abundance of feeder roots. Mostly larger big roots wrapping together.
Could the lack of tiny feeder roots be the problem?
How do we help the tree produce these feeder roots better?

Thanks again !!

rtisgood

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh boy, I'm a complete newb.

Thank you all for the help, I will do more research on these types of trees.

Top Bottom